No announcement yet.

Arum: Margarito will drop WBO title to avoid Williams

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Super_Lightweight View Post
    Give it a rest. Williams is not a 'real fighter' when compared to Cotto. If you were Tony you'd do the same thing if you had more than excrement for brains. You take the bigger money fight, which is also a more difficult fight, because if you win you have more money, drawing power, and legacy.

In sum...duh.
    You make a good point, but Margarito was never even a mandatory for Floyd and Floyd chose to fight bigger names for the exact same reasons. Now that the tables are turned it's ok for Margarito to not only take another fight but to avoid his mandatory to do it. I'm not saying he's wrong, but why was Floyd criticized but the "Most Feard Welterweight" in the world get a pass?

Comment

Originally posted by Double View Post
      If this is indeed true, every single Margarito nuthugger needs to come in here and apologize for all the "Floyd is ducking Margarito" rants we've heard for the last year. In the post fight interview Marg did seem a little reluctant to fight Williams. If he pulls a Bowe move he should never speak Floyd's name again.
      Why the **** do we need to apologize? Margarito is not the one being offered 8 million dollers. Get the **** out of here if you really belive Floyd made 8 million against Baldomir.

Comment

You make a good point, but Margarito was never even a mandatory for Floyd and Floyd chose to fight bigger names for the exact same reasons. Now that the tables are turned it's ok for Margarito to not only take another fight but to avoid his mandatory to do it. I'm not saying he's wrong, but why was Floyd criticized but the "Most Feard Welterweight" in the world get a pass?
        Because at the time, Floyd decided to face Baldomir. He did not have a fight with DLH on the table until May 2007 and took Baldomir instead of Margarito when Marg was more in demand for a fight.

But, May is around the corner and that is in the past.

Comment

why margarito gotta always fight the little ppl. that ***** cant even fight ppl his own jolly green giant height

Comment

LOL...you just called him a *****. Good stuff.

Let's get serious. Margarito is a professional boxer. He would destroy you, me, and everyone else in here (maybe not Scully).

I guess now the criteria for not being a ***** is to fight guys your own height.

Comment

Because at the time, Floyd decided to face Baldomir. He did not have a fight with DLH on the table until May 2007 and took Baldomir instead of Margarito when Marg was more in demand for a fight.

But, May is around the corner and that is in the past.
              If floyd would have fought margarito he would still get ripped for not fighting the WW champ in baldomir. Brian Kenny rips floyd all the time along with other writers because he wasnt ring champion at 140, if he would have fought marg, who had no real championship, he would be ripped for the same thing, especially if he pitched a shutout. He was ripped for saying he was a champ at 147 by gettin the worthless IBF belt, which is somewhat justified, so he took the real championship instead.

Personally, id rather pitch a shutout against the linear champ at 147 than do it to some WBO paper champ who won his belt through an eliminator. Floyd loses either way, but against baldomir, hes ripped, but is still the linear champ.

Comment

In today's "Lessons in Reading Comprehension," here is the exact quote from Arum:

(Question: Where does Margarito go from here?)

Arum: "I'd like to get him a fight before June, but I don't know how his hand is and so forth. But if worst case we'll hold him out until June and have him fight Cotto at the Garden. Right now with Cotto I have a superstar and Margarito is extremely dangerous. If Margarito's hand is alright I'll put him in with Paul Williams to get that fight out of ther way, but I'm not going to risk a massive promotion in Madison Square Garden over it."

So, in essence Arum is saying that he'd like to get Margarito's mandatory with Paul Williams out of the way, but it is contingent on Margarito's hand injury. Arum is saying that if Margarito is injured, he'd prefer for Margarito to heal and then face Cotto. But I guess we'll see what the truth ends up as.

Just wanted to clear things up.

Comment

LOL...you just called him a *****. Good stuff.

Let's get serious. Margarito is a professional boxer. He would destroy you, me, and everyone else in here (maybe not Scully).

I guess now the criteria for not being a ***** is to fight guys your own height.
                  why do u assume he would destroy me just cause he's a ****in pro. we have pros at our gym that get schooled by girls. lets not over hype the"im a super hero cause im a pro"just cause im no pro doesnt mean i cant k.o his ass pros r still vulnerable to being knocked the **** out with 1 hit like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevery1 else.. u get it?

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                    Urkal is a walk in the park. I'm sure Margarito does not want to take a chance fighting Williams in say March, and risk injury or a loss, with a payday around the corner.

Isnt that the same reason Mayweather scrapped his February "birthday" fight that was scheduled as an HBO PPV, against Cory Spinks who he cut a deal with for November, and then turned around and made the Baldomir deal with a promise to Spinks for the Feb date.

Same reason he and Oscar are going to sit out 7 months?
                    The thing is that people all know Mayweather is going for the money and not the risk... It was said that makes sense. But everyone was calling Mayweather a ***** for "ducking" Margarito and that Margarito fights anyone anywhere and is a warrior... Now Margarito is pulling the same things Floyd is thus should be put on his level.

Comment

Originally posted by Mishra100 View Post
                      The thing is that people all know Mayweather is going for the money and not the risk... It was said that makes sense. But everyone was calling Mayweather a ***** for "ducking" Margarito and that Margarito fights anyone anywhere and is a warrior... Now Margarito is pulling the same things Floyd is thus should be put on his level.
                      Exactly, i think its logical at this point to duck williams for cotto, HOWEVER, you cant sit here and say that Mayweather is a "*****" for doing the same thing waiting to land the biggest non heavyweight fight in ages.

Comment

Working...
                      X