Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Dirrell is BACK: 10-round decision over Michael Gbenga

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Dirrell, but the way he has flushed his career down the drain is quite sad.

Comment

I often wonder if he is really has the drive anymore. I guess we will see.

Comment

Don't know much about Gbenga. Boxrec says any serious prospect beats him, though only once by KO. I dunno'... Doesn't sound like much of a test for as good as Dirrel is supposed to be.

Unless somebody can enlighten me, I'm unimpressed.

Comment

The guy he beat is ranked by boxrec at #280 in the world. The guy he wants to fight next is ranked by boxrec at #42 in the world. When he fights someone in the top 20 I'll pay attention. Right now he seems to be pading his record with easy fights against nobodies.

Comment

Originally posted by badnewsbrown View Post
            An abraham fight would be huge in Germany, but i doubt Dirrell would travel there.
            Hell no he wouldn't.

If the first fight had been it Germany they would have ruled the suckerpunch a legal blow and counted Dirrell out.

Comment

Glad hes back now its time to get serious. Way too many haters on this board for this guy.

Comment

nobody cares about Dirrell anymore

Comment

It's a shame people don't get behind Dirrell more... an extremely naturally gifted talent, though I can appreciate he hasn't done himself many favours (favors, Fat Yanks) with some of his antics.

I had him winning the Froch fight, though this was his entrance music:

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                    It's a shame people don't get behind Dirrell more...
                    he had a pretty big side of hype behind him going into Super Six, much moreso than the far more evenly balanced Ward (speaking first-hand, it was most disappointing at the time for SOG fans to see the gaudier yet less worthy talent get the lion's share of the fanfare, although that imbalance was quickly redressed after the first set of round-robin matches). his athletic talent is much more pronounced than the depth of his skillset and ring IQ, though he's prone to ungainliness even there, and he's inadequate in the intangibles required to endure the pressures a fighter of his style is bound to be exposed to when facing top competition.

Comment

Yeah, even though I had him beating Froch, it was interesting that the "x factor" that Froch clearly possesses and Dirrell doesn't was able to make that difference to make it close.

His punch resistance isn't also the best... I was surprised, on review, that he was pissing blood from the nose and mouth as early as the fourth, despite being hardly hit.

Comment

Working...
                      X