No announcement yet.

Sparring a weight lifter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring a weight lifter

my coach wants me to spar with this guy, new to boxing but lifts weights alot before,

I lift weights about two times a week, three tops.

he is very well built because of weight lifting only, just well built, not the super buff built.

I focus more on boxing 3-4 times a week,

im not as built as him, but my arms are pretty toned because of boxing training.

is his vigorous weight lifting background a big factor? will he floor me?

or will my technique pull me though? thanks!

you should be able to murk him, but just focus on your technique and it's just sparring don't forget

Comment

Originally posted by winky's right View Post
      you should be able to murk him, but just focus on your technique and it's just sparring don't forget
      thanks, yeah just sparring. im just thinking that maybe there is too much difference in power because of his background, or that maybe he needs a more experienced spar partner,

but hey it's boxing. just gotta learn learn learn

Comment

Originally posted by one_two_puncher View Post
        my coach wants me to spar with this guy, new to boxing but lifts weights alot before,

I lift weights about two times a week, three tops.

he is very well built because of weight lifting only, just well built, not the super buff built.

I focus more on boxing 3-4 times a week,

im not as built as him, but my arms are pretty toned because of boxing training.

is his vigorous weight lifting background a big factor? will he floor me?

or will my technique pull me though? thanks!
        If he's new to boxing...then he's new to boxing. He may have the potential to hit harder...but that doesn't make him an experienced boxer...he still has everything to learn. If you have more experience and boxing skills then you will have the advantage. If all things are equal but he is stronger than he has the advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
          If he's new to boxing...then he's new to boxing. He may have the potential to hit harder...but that doesn't make him an experienced boxer...he still has everything to learn. If you have more experience and boxing skills then you will have the advantage. If all things are equal but he is stronger than he has the advantage.
          yeah thanks, it's just sparring. but yeah technique could neutralize if he's stronger.

thanks man

Comment

a weight lifter = big muscles = he'll run out of gas faster.. try to outbox him and go to the body, he'll run out soon enough and be a sitting duck for you. use ur technique, let him throw punches and make him miss.

Comment

lol, easy work man. Weight lifting doesn't mean shit in boxing. Forget how his body looks, it ain't gonna help him at all.

Comment

You have experience over him. He doesn't even know how to box? You should be able to pick him off.

Comment

If your an experienced boxer this should be easy work for you. His punches will be slow and awkward and his punches will lack power because of his poor technique.
                  I used to do alot of weights with the boxing, I hit very hard because I had boxing technique but I felt awkward and I struggled to land on guys with good head movement, lads that didn't have my punching power were destroying me because they were landing and I wasnt fast enough to get the shots off. I also had stamina issues.
                  Since I stopped the weights, my body doesn't look as big but im faster and able to get the shots off.

You should have no problems with this guy, just think about what your doing and use your skills

Comment

thanks for the reply guys, yeah. techinque should pull me through,

but regarding my own weight lifting, should i stop lifting? is the myth that it slows you down true?

or should i go just with less weight more reps?

Comment

Working...
                    X