No announcement yet.

Who could beat a prime Roy Jones?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who could beat a prime Roy Jones?

Whether you like him or not, you have to admit he was an amazing fighter that could give anyone in his weight class(es) problems.

From middleweight to light heavyweight, who could beat him?

Originally posted by Sugarr View Post
    Whether you like him or not, you have to admit he was an amazing fighter that could give anyone in his weight class(es) problems.

Maybe Thomas Hearns at Middleweight. Basically take his weakness now, and thats getting tagged by a big punch, and try to find somebody quick and accurate enough to land one. Toney couldn't come close, Hopkins didn't hit hard enough and had a hard enough time landing one.

I'ts real hard betting against Roy in his good days because he was so tremendously quick and athletic for a middleweight/lhw.

There is also McClellan, who beat him in the Am's.

Comment

At MW CARLOS MONZON!

Comment

No 1!! RJJ Top 3 ATG

Comment

Antonio Tarver.

Comment

Originally posted by Argentine View Post
            At MW CARLOS MONZON!
            Really perfect style I also think, a prime, pre Duran and pre Mugabi Hagler would give RJJ hell. But RJ had still a very good defence/reflexes.

I also see some chances for Nigel Benn, but imo RJJ could outbox him. Benn is chanceless (too passive).

For me RJJ was a always a MW or SMW. Imo he lost power moving up. He was and is one of the best Mws ever. But he lacks power as a LHw.

Comment

Bob Foster.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarr View Post

at middle and in his prime,i cant see anybody beating.if i would give some1 a chance it would be the g-mann.at light heavy however,i think holyfield,moorer,an spinks all beat him.and how he struggled with griffin in the 1st fight,i also give an outside chance for dwight quwai,though he may have been to short

Comment

He was amazing, but I think there are a few LHW's that would and could beat him.

It is at MW and SMW that he was truly devastating. There wouldn't be many who could beat him there. Monzon would one of the biggest chances too and I would give him the best chance. A guy with a sneaky right and jab, who had a very awkward pressure and style. He couldn't be hurt and it was nearly impossible to really out-box him as such.

There are a lot of other guys that would have the classic shot at tagging him with a big shot and putting him out. The best MW/SMW's of our era didn't have the big punch to do it really. They relied on their own slick skills much like Jones and so when they faced him, Jones' speed was just able to get the better of them. Someone with a monstrous punch and quick hands would always have that chance over Jones though.

Think of some very hard hitting southpaws at MW with speed and you've got a guy that could beat Jones. Think of any hard hitting fighter with a good, quick, well hidden KO punch and you've a guy who has a chance.

The only problem with Jones ended up being his chin and the fact that if he was tagged hard he would inevitably go down for the count or be very badly hurt, which gives him that problem of one sneaky punch and you beat him. Not many could get it in, but it would happen and some would land it.

Hearns is a great example. What if Jones had faced Hearns around the time he faced Hopkins? B-Hop landed the right. Hearns' right though was dynamite and if he did land it early on the temple as Jones ducked down I could definitely see Jones put out for the count. If Hearns didn't land it for the first four rounds then I could see him having trouble winning a decision. Great fight though.

He's a real question mark.

Comment

Nigel Benn
                    Chris Eubank
                    Gerald Mcclellan
                    Dariusz Michalczewski
                    Lennox Lewis
                    2003 washed up Mike Tyson
                    Joe Calzaghe
                    A dedicated James Toney
                    Prime Bernard Hopkins

Comment