No announcement yet.

Antidepressants found in fish in Great Lakes region

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antidepressants found in fish in Great Lakes region

"Researchers have found concentrations of human antidepressants in 10 kinds of fish in the Niagara River, which links Lake Erie with Lake Ontario.

Active ingredients in Zoloft, Prozac and other happy-pills were discovered to be built up in the brains of smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, rudd, rock bass, white bass, white perch, walleye, bowfin, steelhead and yellow perch. The source of the contamination: wastewater."

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.3458750

Does that mean the drugs are in our drinking water?

Comment

Originally posted by Beardo View Post
      It means a bunch of kids got stoned and thought it would be funny to toss a bunch of antidepressants into the lake on the off chance the fish would eat them.

Then they probably ****ed, smoked some more and left.

Comment

Originally posted by Beardo View Post
        It could be. Apparently wastewater treatment plants need to make changes in order to account for America's increasingly drugged populace.

"These active ingredients from antidepressants, which are coming out from wastewater treatment plants, are accumulating in fish brains,” Diana Aga, Ph.D, a professor at the University at Buffalo, said in a release.

The situation is, well, fishy. “It is a threat to biodiversity, and we should be very concerned,” Aga added.

And for a few reasons, including that treatment plants are not keeping up with the times and the pace of today’s antidepressant use.

Comment

It's frighting to me because antidepressants do not work of for treating depression, yet for over 15 years I've been constantly prescribed all different types of them -- I was even told if I refused they might take my benefits away.

So what are they actually for?

Comment

In 2017 even the fish all depressed & sh^t.

Comment

That ***** will make you impotent and infertile.

Comment

Originally posted by Breakbeat 2.0 View Post
                That ***** will make you impotent and infertile.
                They really do. Erectile dysfunction first. Then you do it long enough and you're really ****ed.

Comment

On the bright side reports suggest more and more fish are getting off their beds and on with their days easier than ever before

And personally, I find fish taste better when they are totally even-keeled before capture.

Comment

I don't like them putting chemicals in the water that are turning the friggin' frogs gay

Comment

Working...
                    X