Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max Baer, What If He Didnt Clown Around?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Baer, What If He Didnt Clown Around?

GDay All

It seems over time the younger generation forget Max Baer,

Having one of the biggest right hands i have ever seen, He also had one of the funniest personalities in the boxing world. He was a good fighter and Champion, But once you think about him you have to wonder, What would he have done if he focused like Mike Tyson...Joe Frazier....George Foreman did. Would he have a better Legacy? or do you think He reached his portential. It will be interesting to hear some of your thoughts.

Rooster

Without the clowning, he'd have been in everyones top 10 AT H/W list..

Comment

He had more potential than he showed, he should really have beaten Braddock. That said all roads would have lead to Joe Louis and there was no way that I think he could have beaten Louis. His defense was never amazing and I dont think his jab was as good as others of his generation.

In the Louis fight he certainly landed some big punches and had Louis in a little trouble but I doubt that even the grinning monster that massacred Primo Carnera and Max Schmelling would have actually won.

ATG? Not for me, but as a legendary character of the sport and possibly the second best heavyweight of the 30s he should be fondly remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        He had more potential than he showed, he should really have beaten Braddock. That said all roads would have lead to Joe Louis and there was no way that I think he could have beaten Louis. His defense was never amazing and I dont think his jab was as good as others of his generation.

In the Louis fight he certainly landed some big punches and had Louis in a little trouble but I doubt that even the grinning monster that massacred Primo Carnera and Max Schmelling would have actually won.

ATG? Not for me, but as a legendary character of the sport and possibly the second best heavyweight of the 30s he should be fondly remembered.
        Intelligent post... But the man did most of his training in bars & clubs..

I think, if dedicated... He'd be there... A slick boxer with Marciano's punch... If he'd trained properly... Regards MM

Comment

When he was in the mood to hurt a guy, Baer was relentless, determined, and heavy handed. But a lot of the time he was happy enough to swap punchers, have some laughs, collect his purse, then hit the clubs-especially if he was in a little over head or if he was injured. He just didnt care enough to be exceptional every time out and never took the sport serious.

With disicpline and dedication he could of achieved more, but even then I dont know about being a Top 10 Heavyweight of all time.

Baer's right hand was probaly the single hardest punch in the game, until Joe Louis arrived on the scene.It was never short or accurate, but when Bear telegraphed the punch and threw it looping most of the time. And Baer winged it with abandon forever chasing the KO, and 200+ dropped like flys.

Comment

Comment

He totally threw the Braddock fight away.

Comment

man, baer could punch! thanks for the videos 16BF!

Comment

Hey, Max Schmelling beat Louis and Baer beat Schmelling. So why couldn't he beat Jou Louis?

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
                    Hey, Max Schmelling beat Louis and Baer beat Schmelling. So why couldn't he beat Jou Louis?
                    Becuase Boxing maths dosent work out. Unless your new to the sport you should know this.

Comment

Working...
                    X