• Show
Clear All

• The best left jabs in Heavyweight History

The best left jabs in heavyweight history in order:

Larry Holmes
    Sonny Liston
    Muhammad Ali
    Joe Louis

BTW-Joe Louis's jab is over rated.Look at the films,he used it to set up his other punches.He used it as a "feeler" more than a powerfull jab,that some people believe.

I like Wlad's jab.

Comment

Larry Holmes
      Sonny Liston
      Wladamir Klitschko
      Joe Louis
      Lennox Lewis
      Gene Tunney

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
        I like Wlad's jab.
        The greatest ever?

Who else would you rate as having great left jabs?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
          The greatest ever?

Who else would you rate as having great left jabs?

Thanks
          Nah not the greatest ever, just in addition to the guys you already named. I also rate Ray Mercer's jab pretty highly considering it gave Holyfield and Lewis all kinds of trouble in fights he easily could have won.

Then there's a couple B level guys who had great jabs...I need to watch some 80s fights to remind myself who.

Comment

Historically it would go something like this:

James Corbett
            Jack Johnson
            Gene Tunney
            Joe Louis
            Floyd Patterson (So under rated, clocked faster than Ali's)
            Sonny Liston
            Muhammad Ali
            Larry Holmes
            Riddick Bowe
            Lennox Lewis
            Wladimir Klitschko

There of course were many others, Foreman's deserves a mention for its sheer force, so does Tyson's at his peak, nothing wrong with Holyfield's too.

The best heavyweight left jab in history for me belongs to Larry Holmes. I once had a chat with Earnie Shavers and asked him whose was best between Holmes and Ali because it was such a tough call. Earnie said Ali's was a touch faster but Holmes's hurt more and was so accurate, that was the clincher for me.

As for Louis's jab, I've watched the films and it was a damaging weapon on its own as well as being a range finder for his combinations. Check out the Schmelling rematch for an easy one round example, I think he tripples it at one point. I forget which hapless Louis victim said that 'Louis's left is like being hit by most heavyweight's right'. Nuff said on that one!

Comment

I wouldn't say that Louis' jab is overrated. It actually doesn't get mentioned all that much whenever people discuss the best jabs in heavyweight history. It was a good punch though, in my opinion. He took the fight out of Baer with the jab, landed it at will.

Comment

Holmes wins this hands down for me

Comment

Are you trying to be cute? Why a left jab? considering the three noted greatest jabs in heavyweight history belonged to liston,ali and holmes all of whom used a left jab

why not just say um....jab?

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                    Then there's a couple B level guys who had great jabs...I need to watch some 80s fights to remind myself who.
                    Pinklon Thomas.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                    X