Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People should think about jeff lacy when they hype up errol spence...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People should think about jeff lacy when they hype up errol spence...

Similar styles, both incredibly hyped at the point where they were demolishing fringe world level fighters. When lacy stepped up and fought a true world class fighter who didnt stand in front of him with his chin hanging out in the air, he got found out.

In fact lacy was a favourite against calzaghe, whereas spence in the prospective bookies odds is the underdog against brook.

I remember 'the new mike tyson' was the phrase with lacy, as he was blasting out these durable fighters, in better fashion than others had beat them (sound familiar?). People couldnt see how fighters would be able to cope when lacy started stringing his combos together. Boy did they get a rude awakening...

The lesson here, is that you shouldnt hype these offensive fighters, however good they look destroying B/C level opposition. Youve got to see how they do against an intelligent fighter who can fight back and wont stand in front of them.

I think people are really getting carried away with him demolishing algieri, someone who literally had no power whatsoever to stop spence in his tracks when hes coming forward. And bundu was an old man who lost every round to thurman, really is bizarre how beating them two has got this guy hyped so much.

Spence could well turn out to be the real deal but i think the hype machine needs to slow down a bit... People seem absolutely certain he'd blitz proven world level fighters, apparantly bradleys scared of him too now i was reading earlier today, and saw someones sig saying hes the heir to ray leonard, floyd mayweather etc lol, steady on guys...

Stopped reading at Similar styles..... what on earth convinced you that they are similar apart from being black American and undefeated, delete that part so you don't look foolish.

Comment

i loved it when he beat up Robin Reid...they were calling him Late Hook Lacy

Comment

For anyone who was around in the mid 00s when Lacy was ripping it up at 168lb, that hype was unreal. I remember it so well. Before the Calzaghe fight, I saw credible sports "journalists" talking about Lacy as the superm iddle Mike Tyson, and how he would destroy Calzaghe etc etc etc. As a teenager I believed it and when Joey Caz beat him...scratch that, humiliated him, I just could not believe it.

It's also important to mention that the excuses started flying about throughout forums and certain sections of the boxing media much after the fight, specifically when Calzaghe went to the US and thumped Jones and beat Hopkins. All of a sudden, every possible excuse was made to degrade Calzaghe.

Comment

Originally posted by naijad View Post
          stopped reading at similar styles..... What on earth convinced you that they are similar apart from being black american and undefeated, delete that part so you don't look foolish.
          Seriously.

Comment

you dont know boxing if youre comparing lacy and spence. horrible thread.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              For anyone who was around in the mid 00s when Lacy was ripping it up at 168lb, that hype was unreal. I remember it so well. Before the Calzaghe fight, I saw credible sports "journalists" talking about Lacy as the superm iddle Mike Tyson, and how he would destroy Calzaghe etc etc etc. As a teenager I believed it and when Joey Caz beat him...scratch that, humiliated him, I just could not believe it.

It's also important to mention that the excuses started flying about throughout forums and certain sections of the boxing media much after the fight, specifically when Calzaghe went to the US and thumped Jones and beat Hopkins. All of a sudden, every possible excuse was made to degrade Calzaghe.

to be fair to Lacy, he had the balls to go across the pond and try to unify...he could have stayed in the US and lived off that hype

Comment

you forgot to mention lacy was drugged before the fight

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post

because he looked terrible and lost to hopkins and for some reason fought a completely shot jones jr. you wanted people to love him for that?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                    Similar styles, both incredibly hyped at the point where they were demolishing fringe world level fighters. When lacy stepped up and fought a true world class fighter who didnt stand in front of him with his chin hanging out in the air, he got found out.

In fact lacy was a favourite against calzaghe, whereas spence in the prospective bookies odds is the underdog against brook.

I remember 'the new mike tyson' was the phrase with lacy, as he was blasting out these durable fighters, in better fashion than others had beat them (sound familiar?). People couldnt see how fighters would be able to cope when lacy started stringing his combos together. Boy did they get a rude awakening...

The lesson here, is that you shouldnt hype these offensive fighters, however good they look destroying B/C level opposition. Youve got to see how they do against an intelligent fighter who can fight back and wont stand in front of them.

I think people are really getting carried away with him demolishing algieri, someone who literally had no power whatsoever to stop spence in his tracks when hes coming forward. And bundu was an old man who lost every round to thurman, really is bizarre how beating them two has got this guy hyped so much.

Spence could well turn out to be the real deal but i think the hype machine needs to slow down a bit... People seem absolutely certain he'd blitz proven world level fighters, apparantly bradleys scared of him too now i was reading earlier today, and saw someones sig saying hes the heir to ray leonard, floyd mayweather etc lol, steady on guys...

Comment

Working...
                    X