No announcement yet.

Weight Loss Plateau...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Loss Plateau...

So, I've been doing fairly well since about the beginning of the year. I've dropped from 194 to 176, but I've been at 176 for about a week now ! I can't figure out what's going on because I was losing the weight pretty consistantly, and fairly quickly.

I've stuck to my diet, but haven't been able to make it out to the gym as much as I had been, but I still go about 4 times a week.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong, or any ideas on what could help me get through this slump...?

On one hand, its motivating, being that I feel like I have to be extra cautious about what I'm putting into my body, but on the other hand, its sort of a motivation killer, in that I feel like these last 26 pounds are going to be a near impossible feat !

Help please from anyone that's gone through it !

My goal is to get down to 150lbs by my birthday in May !

I have stepped my cardio endurance up a lot, mainly because I wanted to get into a boxing class, I went in for a session in the very beginning of the year, and was in horrible shape, so I thought I'd return a little lighter, and at least in a little better shape.

its normal to pleateau... you need to start ramping up the cardio and organise your meals into 6 portions throughout the day. I`d suggest running 6 times a week with 1 day off for 3-5 miles each time.

Comment

^ I've been doing pretty well, as far as getting in 6 small meals a day, I'll have a breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, then an evening snack.

I think you're right about the cardio, I sweat, but it doesn't feel anywhere near the amount of sweat that I had going on when I tried the boxing class out...I could literally see the steam coming off of my head. LOL..

I should push myself a little harder during cardio...and maybe a couple more times a week.

Thanks bro ! Its just frustrating !

Comment

Everyone goes through a plateau at some statge. You either need to just rest up for a week or change your training routine to shock your body. Maybe you should start the boxing class now as they maybe the shock your body needs to start its weight loss again. Give it a try and see.

All the best and good luck!!!

Comment

^ I was thinking the same thing, that maybe this would be a good time to start up, since I am in at least a little better condition. I've just been a little timid, because I'm not gonna lie, I was sore for 4 days after trying the class out, and I hadn't worked that hard since my days of unloading UPS trucks !

About taking off a week, I would so love to do that, but I'm afraid that I'll regress and put on the pounds that I've worked so hard to get off !

Appreciate the words !

Comment

Your goal is 150 pounds.....why 150? Why not 140 or 160? Perhaps 150 is a good compromise between 140 and 160? Then again, perhaps you just pulled that number out of the air.

Cus D'Amato did not agree with this habit of abusing the body to make some arbitray weight number. I don't agree with it either. Forget about your weight and concentrate on your fitness. Once you achieve boxing shape you won't have any excess weight.

Comment

Originally posted by potatoes View Post
              Your goal is 150 pounds.....why 150? Why not 140 or 160? Perhaps 150 is a good compromise between 140 and 160? Then again, perhaps you just pulled that number out of the air.

Cus D'Amato did not agree with this habit of abusing the body to make some arbitray weight number. I don't agree with it either. Forget about your weight and concentrate on your fitness. Once you achieve boxing shape you won't have any excess weight.
              I've been thinking that myself... Don't worry about numbers...

Comment

Good post Potatoes...I agree !

Actually, the number 150 is more or less like a milestone, I would just like to reach by May. ( My 24th birthday ) I agree, that the numbers don't mean much, but its one of the only ways that I can keep track of how I'm doing.
                When I was in shape, and active, my weight was around 140-150, and I would just really like to get back to, or even exceed that level of fitness, and health that I was at. Thats how I got the figure.

So the weight, as a number is just my way of keeping track.

Comment

Originally posted by MOREBASS View Post
                  Good post Potatoes...I agree !

Actually, the number 150 is more or less like a milestone, I would just like to reach by May. ( My 24th birthday ) I agree, that the numbers don't mean much, but its one of the only ways that I can keep track of how I'm doing.
                  When I was in shape, and active, my weight was around 140-150, and I would just really like to get back to, or even exceed that level of fitness, and health that I was at. Thats how I got the figure.

So the weight, as a number is just my way of keeping track.

The weight number is not necessarily an good indication of fitness. A better indication of fitness is keeping track of your times for roadwork. Whether you are doing intervals or just the old fashioned 5 miler, going a bit faster every week will get you in better shape and it will get rid of excess pounds. In his prime Joe Louis could go 30 consecutive hard rounds on a heavy bag. That's a good indication of boxing shape!

Comment

Very true...but it seems like your weight would be one of the few ways that you could see if all of the hard work was actually paying off right...?

Comment

Working...
                    X