Idea for for new forum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
    It's:

No, I could care less about today's boxing.

like what does it mean to you if i said "I couldnt rate jack johnson any lower then i do"?

does it mean that i rate jack johnson at the bottom of the barrel? No. it means that he deserves to be where i rate him and if anything id rate him higher.

now what does it mean to you if i said " I could rate Jack Johnson Lower then i do"?

dose it mean that i rate jack johnson at the top of the ladder and the only place to go is down? No. it means i rate him where i rate him but a good argument could easily sway me to rate him lower.

get it?

cause personally I couldnt care less as this is an important topic that i rather enjoy.
    My English is going down the drain... 3rd year outside US...

Comment

Originally posted by Rossman View Post
      I noticed since I joined that some posters come in here discussing active fighters. It happens at all the boxing forums. Can't those threads just be moved to the main boxing section.
      Well, the main boxing section of this website is unfortunately populated by idiots. This is the reason why some ppl post here about active boxers. If you have ever been to NSB, you know it is hard to blame them.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
        Well, the main boxing section of this website is unfortunately populated by idiots. This is the reason why some ppl post here about active boxers. If you have ever been to NSB, you know it is hard to blame them.
        i think heavily moderating this forum is the best option. hardly anyone comes here anyway. Jab (i didint even know he was a moderator) can easily make a thread about a major fight and we all post in it.

we all know whos who on here at this point therefore it couldnt hurt. most of us have been here for years and while nsb always had its ups and downs, after a certain fight in 2008 december, things took a turn for the worst.

Comment

hmmm... I don't think it is impossible to implement codewise. Do you see some resistance from that powers that be?
          It certainly wouldn't be impossible, but the way you outlined would be a lot easier. A much simpler way would be a passworded subforum such as Team Russia and Classic, but I doubt the mods will create one for you.

A few years ago, me, Abosworth and Bat tried to get an "Alt Busters" subforum like you described (AB was a social group we made and was very active for a while), but we had no luck with it at all. Hope you have more luck! However, I'd say the easier option is have Jab, or him make an alt, create the thread and place all trolls who venture in on ignore.

Don't worry, the post didn't really make sense to me, either.

Comment

Originally posted by T-97 View Post
            It certainly wouldn't be impossible, but the way you outlined would be a lot easier. A much simpler way would be a passworded subforum such as Team Russia and Classic, but I doubt the mods will create one for you.

A few years ago, me, Abosworth and Bat tried to get an "Alt Busters" subforum like you described (AB was a social group we made and was very active for a while), but we had no luck with it at all. Hope you have more luck! However, I'd say the easier option is have Jab, or him make an alt, create the thread and place all trolls who venture in on ignore.

Don't worry, the post didn't really make sense to me, either.
            I'm open to anything to help the section, but I'm not sure a new thread is the answer. We have the "history today" thread which was created and stickied for the purposes outlined by the TS. You can't force people to have discussions so I can't see the reason to create a new thread or subforum. I will say there will be little or no trolling in the thread we have or this section in general. I like to have my fun in other sections, but I think at least one should be reserved for boxing fans looking for serious discussion. As long as I mod this section it will be it. Like I said though, I'm open minded to new ideas And if wmute or any of the regulars here want to try something I'll be happy to work with you. I'd only ask we run a public poll taking only this sections regulars into account. I'm willing, I just want the majority on board before changing yours and their section.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              I'm open to anything to help the section, but I'm not sure a new thread is the answer. We have the "history today" thread which was created and stickied for the purposes outlined by the TS. You can't force people to have discussions so I can't see the reason to create a new thread or subforum. I will say there will be little or no trolling in the thread we have or this section in general. I like to have my fun in other sections, but I think at least one should be reserved for boxing fans looking for serious discussion. As long as I mod this section it will be it. Like I said though, I'm open minded to new ideas And if wmute or any of the regulars here want to try something I'll be happy to work with you. I'd only ask we run a public poll taking only this sections regulars into account. I'm willing, I just want the majority on board before changing yours and their section.
              Yeah, I see what you're saying. I think individual fight threads would work a little better though, personally I find it very hard to follow "all in one" kinda threads, not sure if many others share the opinion.

Tbh, I don't post in History much. I come to read a little bit, but generally don't have enough knowledge of boxing history to post a lot. I took a while away from boxing as I was busy with other stuff, ended up forgetting half the stuff I knew

I agree on this section being pretty troll free, though. You've done a good job, bud

Comment

I'm happy enough with this forum. But on the other hand, there are times that I want to discuss a topic in this forum (not NSB), but it wouldn't qualify as "boxing history". And I don't want to put the moderator in an awkward position either.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  I think a new section is the way to go, but allowing in only selected people, and I would argue that the selection criteria is people who are active in this section. Do you have a way to count posts in Boxing History? If not, admins should be able to provide you with that. What do you think? Should I start another thread with a public poll.

Comment

I think a new section is the way to go, but allowing in only selected people, and I would argue that the selection criteria is people who are active in this section. Do you have a way to count posts in Boxing History? If not, admins should be able to provide you with that. What do you think? Should I start another thread with a public poll.
                    I don't think they'll create a new forum, but if there are no objections from the other mods I'll create threads for the big fights and just delete all trolling and bait posts, putting repeated offenders on ignored. I just need the regulars not to respond to it. Hit up ban stick, reed or boxingscene (the mod) about your idea though, they would be of more assistance than myself and maybe they'll create that forum if its possible. I know there is alot of interest in it from serious posters not only in this section but NSB as well.

Comment

i've been in the states for 25 years and that post made zero sense on this end.

Comment

Working...
                      X