Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eubank Sr: Todays fighters can't compare to me!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"When I was champion, we defended the title every two months or less. Today, they're allowed to take half a year off because the subscription television channels need that long to build them up and advertise them.

"The reason todays champions aren't marketable is because they don't entertain. They don't take that step back when they have an opponent on the hook to draw a response from the crowd, both ringside and arm-chaired. It takes cajones and confidence," he reckons.

-
    interesting.

Comment

I don't think there's a single boxer in history willing to give the guys who came after them their dues.

"When I was champion, we defended the title every two months or less."

2 or 3 times a year on average according to your record Chris, but go on and make up some other crap when you're ready.
      Last edited by croz; 06-08-2012, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
        I don't think there's a single boxer in history willing to give the guys who came after them their dues.

2 or 3 times a year on average according to your record Chris, but go on and make up some other crap when you're ready.
        He fought 6 times in 90,4 times in 91, 5 times in 92, 3 times 93, 6 times in 94, 4 times in 95.

Thats 4.66 times a year, not sure he's the one making up crap.

Comment

He fought 10 fights in less than 12 months in '89-Jan '90. Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post

Your hopelessly out here. He was referring to title defenses!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Your hopelessly out here. He was referring to title defenses!
              I think the tragic bout with Watson also took a lot out of Eubank. After that he lost an edge. I truly believe we never saw the best of him.

Comment

always enjoy listening to eubank interviews, especially now that hes retired and is willing to share more of the secrets to his style and why he was effective. i love his scientific approach to boxing.

some of his statements crack me up though, like how he apparently put 97,5% of his weight on his back leg. not 90 or 95. not even 97 or 98, exactly 97,5% lol. classic eubank.

Comment

Originally posted by RSBonos View Post
                  He didn't fight the best opponents available in Toney and RJJ. Great career but that sticks out in terms of his legacy.
                  He was going to fight Toney but Toney lost to RJJ. Everyone tries to blame other fighters for fights with RJJ not happening when in reality RJJ was happy fighting C- fighters.

Comment

Eubank posed a sterner challenge than a fat McCallum or past-it Hill.

Comment

Working...
                    X