No announcement yet.

Silva Scolds Okami for Training with ‘Loser’ Sonnen

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silva Scolds Okami for Training with ‘Loser’ Sonnen

Middleweight champion Anderson Silva is counting down the days until he defends his title against the world-ranked Yushin Okami and returns to his homeland at UFC 134 on Aug. 27 at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Silva does not mince words when it comes to Okami and the training partners with which he has aligned himself.

In an interview on Sunday with O Globo, Brazil’s second largest newspaper, Siva scolded Okami for training with former challenger Chael Sonnen. The Team Quest representative took four rounds from Silva at UFC 117 in August and dominated him for vast portions of the fight before succumbing to a fifth-round triangle choke. After the bout, Sonnen tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone and had his license revoked by the California State Athletic Commission. He later ran afoul of the law, leading to a guilty plea on federal money laundering charges.

“You have to find the best people to train with, and I think [Okami] chose wrong,” Silva said. “I’d never align myself with a loser, a loser in every sense. He didn’t win the fight [between us] and got caught doping. You want to be a champion? Get with good people, with winners. Moreover, Sonnen wasn’t a tough opponent for me. I was injured with cracked ribs and fought five rounds. If I hadn’t been injured, the fight would have been different.”

Although critical of Okami, Silva expects the Japanese brute to be well-prepared when the two collide in their rematch. Okami was the last man to defeat “The Spider,” albeit by disqualification. The UFC middleweight champion already feels the pressure of having to perform in front of the home fans, comparing it to the buildup before an emotionally charged soccer match.

“Brazilians are involved in MMA; they’re talking about it,” Silva said. “Many people call me to talk and to tell me they’ll be at my fight. They want to see me live. It’s a different emotion. I’m starting to feel like Brazil vs. Argentina, not the rivalry but the pressure. I’m trained not to feel pressure, to approach it as just one more fight. And I’ll have to train because [Okami] will be well-trained, just like the Argentines when they come to play here [in soccer].”

hahaha The man definitely likes to voice his opinion. I can agree somewhat.

But I'm more interested in the rules in Brazil. I HOPE THEY ALLOW SOCCER KICKS! That'd be sick, and knees to the head on the ground. I bet you we wouldn't see a boring fight if they were allowed.

Comment

That 'loser' gave Silva a ass whooping, Silva pulled off a submission off his back but he got dominated from round 1 till the 5th, he got dropped and beat on the ground like he was a white belt.

Comment

Originally posted by led's baby mama View Post
        hahaha The man definitely likes to voice his opinion. I can agree somewhat.

But I'm more interested in the rules in Brazil. I HOPE THEY ALLOW SOCCER KICKS! That'd be sick, and knees to the head on the ground. I bet you we wouldn't see a boring fight if they were allowed.
        i've never paid attention to that when the ufc went to different countries. don't they have their own separate organization rules? i thought they did...oh well.

i hope silva smashes this dude. he said in the sonnen fight he was injured, so hopefully this one is exciting while it lasts....

Comment

Why didn't they book Silva-Sonnen II for this event? I'm guessing the Brazilians would give CS a license to fight.

Comment

the loser that dominated Silva and dropped him twice, and was only caught in the last half of the last round?

uh huh.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian.. View Post
              That 'loser' gave Silva a ass whooping, Silva pulled off a submission off his back but he got dominated from round 1 till the 5th, he got dropped and beat on the ground like he was a white belt.
              Did Sonnen lose? Yes
              Did he get caught cheating and still lose? Yes
              Was he talking **** leading up to the fight, saying he would be Silva's toughest fight, cheated, gave Silva a tough fight, while Silva was hurt and he was cheating and still lose? Yes

I would would say he is a loser, do you not agree?

Comment

LOL @ the Silva hating. Sonnen is a loser, he cheated and still got finished in the fight.....

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                  Why didn't they book Silva-Sonnen II for this event? I'm guessing the Brazilians would give CS a license to fight.
                  Because Dana and Co don't wanna piss off the NSAC....

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X