This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marciano 49-0 vs. Mayweather 49-0.

I won't count the McGregor fight for obvious reasons.

There is some debate over which fighter had the better overall resume.

Mayweather gets heat for picking and choosing opponents who had little to chance to win in recent years, but Floyd supporters always fire back that Marciano had plenty of overmatched and faded opponents as well.

To me, historically, holding an undisputed championship means everything. Sure there have been many great titlists that have not, but reaching that plateau raises your stock.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      So you're rewriting history? What's the point of the discussion then? I didn't realize you got to pick and choose which facts to acknowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
        So you're rewriting history? What's the point of the discussion then? I didn't realize you got to pick and choose which facts to acknowledge.
        You are free to argue that Floyd is 50-0. It’s not that the Mac fight has any relevance when comparing resumes anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          You are free to argue that Floyd is 50-0. It’s not that the Mac fight has any relevance when comparing resumes anyway.
          He's 50-0. That's a fact. So if you're in denial about facts, why would we take anything else you say seriously?

That's the thing about facts. You're not entitled to your own facts. Only your own opinions. Some things are universal truths that are not up for argument.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/352

As for Marciano, he should be glad Floyd fought one more time. Now Marciano is back to having the best record of any fighter who retired as champion. Had Floyd never returned, Marciano would have had to share that distinction forever. Now he doesn't have to. Floyd didn't retire as a champion, so Marciano is back to being the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            To me, historically, holding an undisputed championship means everything. Sure there have been many great titlists that have not, but reaching that plateau raises your stock.
            I think these days becoming the undisputed champion in a division takes more skills than just being a high level boxer so I think its an unfair requirement in measuring todays fighters vs yesterdays fighters.

It'd be sorta like giving more credit to fighters today for winning belts in more weight divisions vs old time boxers who had less belts to win to start, but more importantly had less divisions to win them in.

I think there are a lot of differences in the old days vs today that are unfair dick measurements to compare eras to.

Comment

LOL at people still salty over that MayMac fight. Don't really see the big deal in counting that fight as a fight. And if we are not counting sh^t how you are not counting the fact that Rocky turned back to amateur after his first pro W & took an amateur L before turning back pro again. Maybe Rocky should really be 48-0 since he quit pro boxing to go back to amateur boxing took an L & then turned back pro. If Floyd's situation is sketchy with fighting a guy with a 0-0 record shouldn't Rocky's situation be looked deeper at what should or shouldn't count?

Also its worth noting that because NY had a bs rule a fight Rocky had that woulda been a draw in every other state, got made a W for Rocky due to a tiebreaker rule.

As to the debate idk that many people who know boxing are disputing "the better overall resume". Floyd's resume has numerous quality guys on it & a few HOFers & a couple legends or near legends. Rocky beat some quality names, but almost all of them were in their elderly boxing years & he gots a few quality guys beyond that.

Also to go stat-ish Rocky fought 12 (just under 25% of his resume) guys with a non-winning record. Floyd fought 7 (14% of his resume) guys with a non-winning record. That says right there that Rocky's resume is more manufactured than Floyd's.

Comment

Mayweather gets heat for picking and choosing opponents who had little to chance to win in recent years, but Floyd supporters always fire back that Marciano had plenty of overmatched and faded opponents as well.
                We know this is not a discussion or debate. Rocky sux! Rocky balboa is better in the movie....lol....he don't deserve to be in the same sentence as Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
                  If Marciano was 50-0 then I would match the two, but since he's not I'm matching their first 49 opponents.

Comment

Floyd has by far the greater resume, and more impressive achievements, longevity, skills and list of opponents.

Comment

Working...
                    X