No announcement yet.

the myth of max schmeling vs max baer 1933

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the myth of max schmeling vs max baer 1933

the myth is the fight was not close, and that baer dominated the entire fight. however this is a myth. film doesnt lie and the fight on film clearly shows the fight being very close up until the stoppage.

this was a close fight up until the stoppage.

heres my scorecard

round 1: baer
    round 2: baer
    round 3: schmeling
    round 4: schmeling
    round 5: schmeling
    round 6: Baer
    round 7: schmeling
    round 8: Even
    round 9: Baer

my scorecard after 9 rounds read 4 rounds to 4 with 1 even

baer clowned a lot and got lazy in the mid rounds, and schmeling totally outboxed him. baer looked great though, defintley his peak fight. schmeling got in good licks and counterpunches very well in the mid rounds as he outboxed baer. but baer displayed his finest counterpunching of his career in this fight. baer displayed far better defense in the schmeling fight and was much more composed than in any other fight.

Originally posted by SuzieQ49

baer looked great though,
    I especially liked Baer's stiff arm back handed smacks he landed on Schmeling in the 10th. Right hand punch, right handed backhand, right hand punch, right handed backhand. Where did he learn that combination, Spanky vs Alfalfa? Pretty ****in' comical is more like it.

Comment

Originally posted by smasher
      I especially liked Baer's stiff arm back handed smacks he landed on Schmeling in the 10th. Right hand punch, right handed backhand, right hand punch, right handed backhand. Where did he learn that combination, Spanky vs Alfalfa? Pretty ****in' comical is more like it.
      yeah, i noticed that when i watched the fight, lol!

Comment

yea those backhands were kinda cheap and funny

Comment

sounds great

I must sadly admit that the only clips of either Baer or Schmeling that I've ever seen were of Baer beating Carnera, and Schmeling landing a bunch of overhand rights on Louis in their 1st fight but getting crushed in their 2nd fight. Joe Louis regarded Schmeling as a hard puncher but I have to take Louis on his word since I haven't seen enough of Schmeling to know.

Baer was somewhat bigger than Schmeling from what I've read and the few clips I've seen. He was 6'3" and over 200 lbs. without really training much. If he were around today, with modern training methods he would be well over 220 lbs. in fighting trim and a big heavyweight with broad shoulders, sort of like Razor Ruddock.

Schmeling began as a light heavy and still only weighed 181 lbs. in 1929 against Joe Sekyra. I suppose that he was rather skinny in his early 20s.

Comment

Originally posted by mokele
            I must sadly admit that the only clips of either Baer or Schmeling that I've ever seen were of Baer beating Carnera, and Schmeling landing a bunch of overhand rights on Louis in their 1st fight but getting crushed in their 2nd fight.
            If you'll accept them, I can upload a little bit of Schmeling in action (about 20 minutes worth versus Sharkey & Stribling) and pass them along to you via PM...What do you say?

Unfortunately everything I have on Baer is on videotape, and it's not much at that. I wished I could pass along the Louis/Baer fight though, because that's some of the most impressive punching that I've ever seen from a heavyweight...especially that beautiful triple left hook that Louis knocks Baer down with at the end of the 3rd round.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
              If you'll accept them, I can upload a little bit of Schmeling in action (about 20 minutes worth versus Sharkey & Stribling) and pass them along to you via PM...What do you say?

Unfortunately everything I have on Baer is on videotape, and it's not much at that. I wished I could pass along the Louis/Baer fight though, because that's some of the most impressive punching that I've ever seen from a heavyweight...especially that beautiful triple left hook that Louis knocks Baer down with at the end of the 3rd round.
              What was it that Bear said afterwards? "If they want to see me killed they'll have to pay more than $50 for a ringside seat" or something like that...

Comment

What was it that Bear said afterwards? "If they want to see me killed they'll have to pay more than $50 for a ringside seat" or something like that...
                Yeah, something like that, but I think it was more along the lines of;

"These people paid for a prizefight not an execution."

Sound more familiar?

I don't know for sure, because I haven't seen the exact quote in some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
                  ?

I don't know for sure, because I haven't seen the exact quote in some time.
                  "I define fear as standing across the ring from Joe Louis and knowing he wants to go home early"

That one I remember!

Comment

"I define fear as standing across the ring from Joe Louis and knowing he wants to go home early"

That one I remember!
                    Yeah, I remember that one.

I also saw another good one from Baer a couple of days ago in regards to that fight, which somebody posted elsewhere...

Apparently when he went back to the corner after one of the first couple of rounds, his corner was telling him what a great job he was doing avoiding Louis' shots...to which Baer responded something along the lines of;

"Well you better watch that ref then because somebody in this ring is beating the **** out of me."

Comment

Working...
                    X