Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the holmes cooney fight live up to the hype?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the holmes cooney fight live up to the hype?

I thought so. What are your thoughts?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    I thought so. What are your thoughts?
    I thought it did.

Comment

I've never seen the whole fight but I saw the documentary on YouTube hbo made for it. It seemed pretty intense and that Cooney started well and then Holmes took over and beat that ass but you know how hbo talks when they like some one so idk.

Comment

It was a good event, but as soon as Cooney went down from a right cross in the 2nd round I knew it was just a question of when. Too big of a step up for a relatively inactive fighter.

Comment

Wasn't that the one where cooney landed twenty low blows?

Comment

Brilliant fight! Holmes at his very best against someone who was rather better than history will remember him.

Comment

It was an excellent fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Danieltapia View Post
                Yeah. Not quite 20, but he did go south plenty of times.

Comment

you guys are so old!

lol.

ok, let me stop trolling the damn history section.

i'll vote for no, but preface things by saying that i was not alive, and have only seen that fight on youtube, and it's been a long time. i learned a lot about the build up of the fight on HBO's legendary nights. what an expert, NE, you b#tch.

i don't think this one lived up to the hype in the sense that holmes was such a better fighter. that much was not understood among the casual fan going in. cooney did OK early on, but it was abundantly clear that the build up was more of a product of the whole "black - white" thing than it was the product of a great challenger trying to take the title from a great champion.

it was a good challenger, undefeated at at his peak with a big punch, going up against a great fighter in holmes.

this was one of the biggest fights ever. ever. was it contested among two of the best? not really. holmes is one of the best, but cooney was not. cooney was good, but not great. in that sense it wasn't fit for it's billing.
                  Last edited by New England; 01-11-2013, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danieltapia View Post

that is the one. boom.

"20 years later and i still feel it."

-holmes.

Comment

Working...
                    X