Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most drastic change in style of a fighter you've seen?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the most drastic change in style of a fighter you've seen?

For the most part, fighters typically stay the same throughout their careers. They can change trainers all they want but it seems most of the time they resort back to what they've always been. Sure there are plenty of guys who fine tune and improve their game, but rarely do you see a guy who completely changes his style in their career (a brawler becoming a great boxer, etc.).

What are some examples of fighters who changed their style and were successful at it?

George Foreman springs to mind. His style was pretty much polar opposite when he returned. Obviously a vastly different fighter though.

Emile Griffith was much less aggressive and willing to push the offence at times after the 3rd Paret fight but he didn't really change his style.

Barrera's another one.

Comment

When Marvin Hagler goes from brawler to boxer in the minds of enlightened individuals.

Muhammad Ali is another, still "boxed from the outside" if you like but, the approach was very, very different.

Comment

Honeyghan changed his style completely after the Curry fight.

Wilfredo Gomez changed his style in the 80s (can't really pick a specific fight) from being a boxer - puncher to much more like a brawler.

Wlad K, a more recent one, changed his style drastically when he got with Steward.

Macho Camacho after the Rosario fight.

Most drastic ones I can think of off the dome.
        Last edited by NChristo; 05-26-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Barrera, Lennox Lewis.

Comment

duran

pacquiao

hopkins

both klitschkos

marquez

barrera

morales

charles

virtually every great fighter has adapted his style as his he's aged and moved up in weight.
            Last edited by New England; 05-26-2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
              Honeyghan changed his style completely after the Curry fight.

Wilfredo Gomez changed his style in the 80s (can't really pick a specific fight) from being a boxer - puncher to much more like a brawler.

Wlad K, a more recent one, changed his style drastically when he got with Steward.

Macho Camacho after the Rosario fight.

Most drastic ones I can think of off the dome.
              I was going to say Camacho aswell.

Good shout on Gomez.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                duran

pacquiao
                hopkins
                both klitschkos
                marquez
                barrera
                morales
                charles

virtually every great fighter has adapted his style as his he's aged and moved up in weight.
                I'm not talking about fighters getting old though. That happens.

Most of these guys I say "fine tuned" there styles or changed a bit as they got older. Hopkins for example isn't drastically different, he simply got old and slowed down his pace dramatically. He's been using the same techniques and trickery he did when he was in his 20's/30's, just his workrate is low.

Pacquiao is just a more fined tuned fighter and less wild, he's more controlled.

Marquez isn't drastically different imo at all.

Vitali fights pretty similar he's just older now.

barrera is a pretty good example

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                  I'm not talking about fighters getting old though. That happens.

Most of these guys I say "fine tuned" there styles or changed a bit as they got older. Hopkins for example isn't drastically different, he simply got old and slowed down his pace dramatically. He's been using the same techniques and trickery he did when he was in his 20's/30's, just his workrate is low.

Pacquiao is just a more fined tuned fighter and less wild, he's more controlled.

Marquez isn't drastically different imo at all.

Vitali fights pretty similar he's just older now.

barrera is a pretty good example

i shall return my friend. i got tickets to the celtics game tonight. gonna get to the city early and get things done right.

video is the only real way to show you why i believe otherwise, and of course, everybody is entitled to an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                    I'd say Vic Darchinyan, when he moved to bantamweight he showed completely different dimension. It was really surprising to see him countering Mares at will at back foot.

that's a very good one.

donaire had something to say about that.

Comment

Working...
                    X