No announcement yet.

Marcel Cerdan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
    Glad to see Cerdan is getting some love & respect as a great fighter. I agree, he was one of Europe's best ever.

The part I never really associated Cerdan with is him being "one of the hardest punchers in the mw division ever". When I think of Marcel Cerdan, I think of 3 things..1. The crash that killed him. 2. A very durable fighter. 3. Generally under-rated.

One of the hardest hitting 160lbers ever? Marcel Cerdan had a life time KO % of 56.52%, or 65 KOs in 115 fights.

Here's some other middleweight KO percentages....

Randy Turpin 60%
    Rocky Graziano 62.65%
    Carlos Monzon 59%
    Stanley Ketchel 75%
    Tommy Hearns 71.64%
    Marvin Hagler 77.61%

These guys were the hardest hitters I could find! I was surprised to find out that the life-time KO % of most of the other notable 160 lbers in history were even LOWER. (Sugar Ray Robinson was a 54% KO ratio) So you are right, Cerdan is also one of the hardest hitters ever at 160!

I should have known that, since I fancy myself a boxing historian! But I'm better prepared now for threads & debates down the road!
    None of the percentages indicate who the harder punchers are, everyone knows that KO percentages don't mean much.

Comment

Marcel Cerdan

No he wasnt even close to best non american fighter. He is a legend though best from France.

If you want a good look at him this site has a Cerdan Career Set
      suckerpunchboxing (dot) webs (dot) com

Comment

I'd like to see SRR's KO % as a WW!

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
          None of the percentages indicate who the harder punchers are, everyone knows that KO percentages don't mean much.
          Ali had a pretty high KO% in his prime. Doesn't mean he was a big puncher though: Most of those KOs were from cuts or the ref ending the carnage. KO% includes ALL stoppages no matter what kind they are.....including stool quits like the Klits rack up.

Poet

Comment

Exactly, anyone knows on that list would see Hearns and Ketchel are a league above Hagler in the power standings conflicting these percentages.

Comment

Glad to see Cerdan is getting some love & respect as a great fighter. I agree, he was one of Europe's best ever.

The part I never really associated Cerdan with is him being "one of the hardest punchers in the mw division ever". When I think of Marcel Cerdan, I think of 3 things..1. The crash that killed him. 2. A very durable fighter. 3. Generally under-rated.

One of the hardest hitting 160lbers ever? Marcel Cerdan had a life time KO % of 56.52%, or 65 KOs in 115 fights.

Here's some other middleweight KO percentages....

Randy Turpin 60%
              Rocky Graziano 62.65%
              Carlos Monzon 59%
              Stanley Ketchel 75%
              Tommy Hearns 71.64%
              Marvin Hagler 77.61%

These guys were the hardest hitters I could find! I was surprised to find out that the life-time KO % of most of the other notable 160 lbers in history were even LOWER. (Sugar Ray Robinson was a 54% KO ratio) So you are right, Cerdan is also one of the hardest hitters ever at 160!

I should have known that, since I fancy myself a boxing historian! But I'm better prepared now for threads & debates down the road!
              You can't consider Tommy Hearns a middleweight. He only had 3 fights at that weight and lost 2 of them. He was something extraordinary, his right hand is one of the greatest weapons in boxing ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                You can't consider Tommy Hearns a middleweight. He only had 3 fights at that weight and lost 2 of them. He was something extraordinary, his right hand is one of the greatest weapons in boxing ever.
                I was trying to pay you a compliment.

I do consider TH a middleweight because he's in the record books as having been the WBC Middleweight Champion of the world. As well as an NABF Middleweight champ.

By the way, Hearns had 8 fights as a middleweight, not 3.

Comment

I was trying to pay you a compliment.

I do consider TH a middleweight because he's in the record books as having been the WBC Middleweight Champion of the world. As well as an NABF Middleweight champ.

By the way, Hearns had 8 fights as a middleweight, not 3.
                  Ok, fair enuff. Thanks for that info and for the compliment. He still can't be considered a TRUE mw, not like Hagler, Monzon or those other guys.

Comment

Ok, fair enuff. Thanks for that info and for the compliment. He still can't be considered a TRUE mw, not like Hagler, Monzon or those other guys.
                    And, to be fair to you also, you're also right. When Hearns comes to mind, I think of him more as a welterweight or jr. middleweight before I consider him a middleweight.

Comment

And, to be fair to you also, you're also right. When Hearns comes to mind, I think of him more as a welterweight or jr. middleweight before I consider him a middleweight.
                      Glad we agree buddy.

Comment

Working...
                      X