More impressive: 48-0 streak Larry Holmes or 43-0 Floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More impressive: 48-0 streak Larry Holmes or 43-0 Floyd

Which is more impressive to you?

Holmes going 48-0 as the Heavyweight Champion (prior to Spinks)

or Current Floyd at 43-0 as a multi division champ.

Comparison:

Holmes was the heavyweight champion and went 48-0 prior to Spinks. During that stretch he fought a past prime but still good Norton, beat Shavers twice(showed great heart in both those fights) and had a big big win over Cooney. He beat undefeated Snipes and a pretty good Berbick. A lot of his opposition wasn't world class and some of his fights were against relatively inexperienced fighters, but overall still a very impressive 48-0.

Mayweather's best wins are "

(Thank you HANDS OF IRON)
    Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Top 10 Rated Opponents/Champions

1998: Genaro Hernandez (World SFW Champion)
    1998: Angel Manfredy (No. 2 SFW)
    2000: Goyo Vargas (No. 10 SFW)
    2001: Diego Corrales (No. 1 SFW)
    2001: Jesus Chavez (No. 4 SFW)
    2002: Jose Luis Castillo (No. 1 LW, WBC claimant) [New lineage]
    2002: Jose Luis Castillo (No. 1 LW)
    2003: Philip N'Dou (No. 4 SFW) (@135)
    2004: DeMarcus Corley (No. 5 LWW)
    2005: Arturo Gatti (No. 1 LWW, WBC claimant)
    2006: Zab Judah (No. 3 WW)
    2006: Carlos Baldomir (World WW Champion)
    2007: Oscar De La Hoya (No. 5 LMW, WBC claimant)
    2007: Ricky Hatton (World LWW Champion) (@147)
    2009: Juan M. Marquez (World LW Champion) (@147)
    2010: Shane Molsey (No. 2 WW, WBA claimant)
    2011: Victor Ortiz (No. 2 WW, WBC claimant)
    2012: Miguel Cotto (No. 1 LMW, WBA claimant)

I really do believe that the heavyweight division symbolize the very concept of 'one punch changes a fight' and 'puncher's chance'.

There is a reason the HW Division suffers countless upsets and shock outcomes more so than the lower weights. So to me a heavyweight champ going 48-0 regardless of opposition is pretty damn impressive.
    48-0 Larry Holmes
    57.80%
    43-0 Floyd
    42.20%
    Last edited by Skittlez; 01-12-2013, 04:33 PM.

Tiger Muhammad

Comment

Because of the Multipule Divisions I would say Floyd, but the better question would be Roy Jones Jr (49-1) And Floyd (43-0); both who dominated multiple divisions.

Comment

Last time I looked Holmes didn't retire every time there was a Young Lion who posed a risk or Someone confronting him face to face as Margarito confronted Floyd. Holmes also didn't make defenses against wash up has beens or received gift decisions. Holmes didn't chicken out from a guy demanding the guy take a steroid test because he thinks the guy juices. Holmes didn't cheat by using HGH, Steroids and Xylocaine. So I ask what kind of moronic question is this ?

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
          Because of the Multipule Divisions I would say Floyd, but the better question would be Roy Jones Jr (49-1) And Floyd (43-0); both who dominated multiple divisions.
          Roy was never a coward, As 50 cent stated I'm tired of hanging with Floyd running from Manny Pacquiao

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
            Roy was never a coward, As 50 cent stated I'm tired of hanging with Floyd running from Manny Pacquiao
            ????????????after toney he ducked everyone are you kidding he only fought mandatorys and it was always on his terms.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
              That question would be an insult to Roy Jones.

Comment

Would it kill posters to put a little more effort into their thread questions/arguments?? At least do a comparison of Floyd's / Holmes' respective opponents...

Comment

What about Chris John's 48-0 with 20 defenses against ever bum in east Asia......oh and Marquez

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                    What the **** man?
                    I agree Roy was never a coward, but the way you phrase all your quotes make it sound like Roy fought everyone there was to fight.

It is common sense Roy didn't fight the vast majority of the big punchers from his era.

Jackson
                    Nunn
                    Benn
                    Eubank
                    Mccellan
                    Daruiz

come on... Roy avoided at least as much as Floyd did if not more.

Comment

Working...
                    X