No announcement yet.

Question about boxing gloves in the Rocky movies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about boxing gloves in the Rocky movies

In Real Life: Most of that is the magic of makeup, but Stallone and Weathers did improvise a bit, and, wrote Stallone in "The Official Rocky Scrapbook," they were both in real pain during the day the fight was filmed, because of the damaged inflicted by the "Casanova" gloves they wore. Casanova gloves, explained Stallone, are illegal in the U.S., but the filmmakers used them "because of their sleek appearance."

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020529.html
    Can someone explain this to me? What are "Casanova gloves", and why are they illegal in the U.S.?

As far as "sleek appearance" goes, I thought the sleekest looking gloves in the series were the gloves that Clubber Lang wore in Rocky III, they didn't seem to have much padding/bulk/weight and had almost a torpedo shape. They were "Tuf-Wear" gloves. Rocky's gloves were "Tuf-Wear" in Rocky III too, but they were noticeably bulkier than Clubber's. I always figured they gave Mr. T/Clubber Lang the smaller gloves to make his punches seem even more brutal and the bulkier more padded gloves to Stallone/Rocky to make his punches seem more ineffectual. Would that even be allowed in a real professional bout? Can one boxer wear say 8 oz. gloves while the other wears 12 oz. gloves?

For anyone familiar with the Rocky movies, what weight gloves would you guess they were using for each character in Rocky III, and in other Rocky's if you happen to know?

I don't think thst would be allowed in a professional fight.

Comment

Originally posted by hollister
      I don't think thst would be allowed in a professional fight.
      You mean the different weight gloves thing?

Do you know what "Casanova gloves" are and why they are illegal in the U.S.?

Comment

Comment

probably because of larry holmes' eye thumb/jab hybrid cheapshot technique. didn't he favor those mitts?

Comment

I don't know that a number of boxing commissions have banned Casanovas (I may have missed news of that). All I know is that many in the higher divisions don't like them. They're made in Mexico and said to be thinly padded in the knuckles and too light-- mostly 6 and 6.5 ounces. While they're a puncher's gloves, they can also damage the hands. Many find that too risky and started favoring Reyes for punchers.

I must confess that I'm raking my head trying to remember when the last time was that I saw Casanovas used in a big fight.

I recall a furor of gloves involving Casanova gloves, a Japanese brand, Sayers gloves, Angelo Dundee and Mac Foster's manager George Stassi, back in the early 70's right before Ali faced Foster in Tokyo.

Stassi insisted that Casanova be used, while Dundee wanted the Japanese gloves. After much wranggling and cussing, they agreed on Sayers.

Dundee said then that Casanova was not good for Ali because Ali could break his hand. Stassi retorted that all Dundee cared about was not Ali's hand but Ali's jaw.
            Last edited by grayfist; 01-05-2006, 11:23 PM.

Comment

intersting observation. the possible reason for banning gloves would probably be their size and the chances of injury associated with them.
              Cassanova gloves do look ridiculously thin.

In the movie 'ALI' something opposite to this can be seen the gloves that are used in the filming of the fights look really huge, they look like those 14 or 16 oz sparring gloves, where as the gloves used then were really small 8 oz gloves.
              did anybody else notice that?

Comment

Originally posted by adeelr
                intersting observation. the possible reason for banning gloves would probably be their size and the chances of injury associated with them.

In the movie 'ALI' something opposite to this can be seen the gloves that are used in the filming of the fights look really huge, they look like those 14 or 16 oz sparring gloves, where as the gloves used then were really small 8 oz gloves.
                most movie gloves look large to me, like 16 ounce or around there.

Comment

Originally posted by adeelr

I remember reading quite a number of critical reviews on the fight scenes of the movie as well as, yes, the gloves.

Could have been that the producers wanted everything to look larger than life?

Oh, well...

Comment

Originally posted by grayfist
                    I remember reading quite a number of critical reviews on the fight scenes of the movie as well as, yes, the gloves.

Could have been that the producers wanted everything to look larger than life?

Oh, well...
                    if you are going to make a movie on human being, the least u can do is keep it real. The fight scenes were very inaccurate too, i havent read about the criticism but now i will.
                    THe gloves really ticked me off though, the punches looked really sloppy becuz of those ugly gloves. Smaller gloves would have improved the fight scenes alot.

Comment

Working...
                    X