Couture vs. Liddell 4 Likely To Headline UFC 99 in Germany

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couture vs. Liddell 4 Likely To Headline UFC 99 in Germany

Chris Insinna

Chuck Liddell is reportedly in negotiations to move up to heavyweight to battle UFC hall of famer Randy Couture for the fourth time in the main event of UFC 99 on June 13th in Cologne, Germany.
    According to the report, Couture is against moving down to the 205-pound light heavyweight division because Xtreme Couture fighter Forrest Griffin currently holds the division’s championship and fellow team member Wanderlei Silva is already in the title hunt at 205.

A combination of factors, including the difficulty to cut weight at an older age and the relative thinness of the heavyweight division, led to the proposed heavyweight matchup where the winner, though unconfirmed, is likely to receive an immediate title shot.

After losing to Couture for the interim light heavyweight title in their first meeting at UFC 43 in 2003, Liddell has won their two most recent encounters, knocking Couture out at UFC 52 in 2005 and UFC 57 in 2006.

A rumored bout between Liddell and Anderson Silva at UFC 95 in February is reportedly no longer under consideration after Silva’s headlining fight against Patrick Cote at UFC 90 in October flopped, drawing just 300,000 PPV buys.

im not very interested in this fight, i think chuck would have the same problems couture does at heavyweight he'll b over powered an outstruck by bigger guys.
    Liddell by tko round 2

Comment

Liddell's thinking is whats gonna be his undoing. He wants to fight Anderson Silva or Randy but he should take an easier tune up and switch up his style. Remember, Ken Shamrock was rating gold too until he kept losing every fight

Comment

Couture vs Liddell could be a good one. At heavyweight I'd give the advantage to Couture. Both are coming off the back of a loss but they're still big stars in my opinion.

Comment

I still think Chuck would have him. Stylistically it favors Liddell and I see it going much like their last 2 fights against each other went. I don't see weight being an issue for this match because Chuck walks around at the same weight as Randy does when Randy fights as a HW.

Comment

i don't have much interest in seeing this fight again. the trilogy was pretty definitive

Comment

Originally posted by StillUnknown View Post
              i don't have much interest in seeing this fight again. the trilogy was pretty definitive
              Thats the way i see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Palma View Post
                Wanderlei Silva is already in the title hunt at 205.
                This is the only part of the quote that I care about or care to read about.

Comment

the biggest thing I took from this headline was UFC 99 in Germany

wow that'd be great to see.

about time the UFC made it over there .. we've seen Brazil, England, Japan, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Puerto Rico, and Canada.

Bravo on making it over to Germany. at least potentially. (of course these talks are still on going right?)

Comment

This is the same bull**** people get on boxing for.

Comment

Working...
                    X