Heavy Weights Make You Slow ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Weights Make You Slow ?

I Found This On A Website

The most needed and under trained bio motor ability I'm talking about is maximal strength. In this article I'm going to explain briefly why lifting heavy weights is a must, and why in fact they won't make you slow as many boxing trainers erroneously believe they do.

Lifting heavy weights will make you slow is a myth that has been around for many years. This myth doesn't seem to be disappearing anytime soon either. This old myth comes from boxing coaches who never questioned it and who no nothing about strength training for boxers. Ask any coach what is their main goal in training their fighter? Their answer usually is, to make their fighter faster, and more powerful for their upcoming fight The fact of the matter is that most fighters are bloody weak! These coaches don't understand that to get fast, you first have to get strong. To get strong, you have to lift heavy weights. Performing a hundred push ups and lifting light weights for over 25 reps won't get you strong. Performing high reps won't, but high reps are often what a boxing skill coach will tell his fighter to use.

Boxing skill coaches also fail to understand that strength and speed, are the prerequisites for power. So to be powerful, you have to be strong and fast. There is no other way around this formula. If you ignore it, you don't reach your full potential.

Now don't get me wrong, if you do nothing but lift heavy weights, they can make you slow. The key is though you must combine speed strength exercises with your strength training to increase the rate of force development. This combo of training will make you far more explosive. The thing I question is, don't you increase your rate of force development hitting the speed and double end bag? Yes you do. Keep in mind, by rate of force development, I'm talking about how fast you move an object. That's the key, how fast you move. If you wanna be fast, you have to move fast.

A strength training block won't make you slow as long as you add speed training exercises after a strength base is built. You can add more speed exercise in a future block or add both speed exercises and strength exercise together in the same training block to increase speed.

The results of adding these training means is you have a fighter who is truly faster and stronger. That's what ends fights quick, explosive power. To be explosive you first need to be strong so you can be fast. Speed is born from strength. Weak fighters are slow for a reason. When you are strong and fast, then you have true power. Once you are powerful behind sound skill, you are a dangerous fighter. I hope I've shed some light on this old wives tale for you. The next time you hear a boxing coach say lifting heavy weights will make you slow, you will know better to listen to that ignorance.
    Last edited by TurnerBoxing; 02-12-2009, 07:15 PM.

Lifting heavyweights makes you fast, not slow.

Comment

Originally posted by !!Black Mamba View Post
      Lifting heavyweights makes you fast, not slow.
      yea, heavy weights are for explosivity, probably a good thing.

If you are a smaller fighter its great since you won't bulk up as big.

Comment

no matter your size, it is best to stay within your body's frame.

actually, i think better, and shorter advice is to train with purpose. do functional training. being able to pull a small plane may not necessarily make u the best boxer.

corrie sanders is not quite the model of physical perfection - but, he can hit pretty hard, right? because he trained to punch a lot and had fairly good mechanics. a good, relaxed, body involved punch. and that got him pretty far, didnt it? that and having the will to take a punch and keep going. but, besides looking less than fit mostly, his opponents always knew of his heavy hands.

***the internet has too much contradictory **** within it. i still say - practice, practice, and practice, and u will know.

Comment

Working...
        X