Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you rate higher P4P. Willie Pep or Benny Leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do you rate higher P4P. Willie Pep or Benny Leonard?

???????????????????????
    Willie Pep
    68.42%
    Benny Leonard
    26.32%
    Even
    5.26%

Pep by a few slots, both are on my top 10 p4p list. Leonard possibly the greatest LW, or alteast top 3 along with (Joe Gans, Duran). Pep very influential defensive fighter and great longevity.

Comment

Pep slightly.......

Comment

pep. benny leonard was a great fighter but pep edges him clearly.

Comment

I rank Leonard higher but not by very much. Before Robinson came along Leonard was regarded as the p4p GOAT.

Poet

Comment

I personally have Pep #5 and Leonard #7.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
              pep. benny leonard was a great fighter but pep edges him clearly.
              How so? What makes Pep edge Leonard clearly? This is a real hard one and it's very easy to make a case for both being above the other. I can't possible see how one could clearly edge the other, but if one were to edge the other it would probably be Leonard, not Pep.

Leonard has what may be the best competition outside of Harry Greb and Ali. He beat the very best champions at a time when there were multitude of great champions at FW, LW and WW.

His competition reads like a who’s who of the great fighters of the teens and twenties including; Four time world champion Johnny Dundee (Featherweight champion 1922-1923, 1923-1924 and Jr. Lightweight champion 1921-1923 and 1923-1924), the great rope fighter whom he met 8 times; Freddie Welsh (Lightweight champion 1914-1916) from whom he won the title, clever former champion Willie Ritchie (lightweight champion 1912-1914), Johnny Kilbane (Featherweight Champion 1912-1923), hard hitting Rocky Kansas (Lightweight champion 1925-1926) and the great southpaw Lew Tendler who is considered one of the very best fighters to have never won a title. Leonard also defeated top lightweight contenders such as Ritchie Mitchell, Patsy Cline, Joe Welling and left hook artist Charley White. He also had a Newspaper decision over WW champ Ted Kid Lewis and was DQ'd against WW champ Jack Britton for the title, whom he had previously beat a number of times, after hitting him in the second last round when he was down and well up on the cards.

Pep only actually beat world champions Sandy Saddler, Manuel Ortiz and Paddy DeMarco, which is amazing. He also had an incredible range of top contenders, as did Leonard, but he is often considered more popular than Leonard thus many remembering him as better than some guys who have better records and did more.

Comment

I think when you get in the realms of top 10/20 atg fighters you really are talking a coin toss at times. This is wafer thin I'd go Leonard....today

Comment

Pre-plane crash Pep's record is too flawless to ignore.

Comment

Benny Leonard for me

Comment

Working...
                    X