No announcement yet.

Why Pirog isn't fighting in the US revealed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Pirog isn't fighting in the US revealed

I ran into these interesting series of posts from Gabriel Montoya, journalist from maxboxing.com with good inside info, in another forum. Pretty much explains everything.

It wouldn't matter if Sergio wanted to fight Pirog. I'm not sure how long I have been saying or can continue explaining it: HBO HAS ZERO INTEREST IN PIROG. I've seen the emails for Buddha's sake.
    Ahhh. I never spend time asking fighters "Will you fight this guy or that guy." Unless it's Floyd, most fighters have zero control over who they fight so it's a wasted question IMO. Given the right money, I'd say 99% of fighters will fight anyone anytime.

I think DiBella has been very clear on why they won't fight Pirog and it's a double standard. On one hand, DiBella wants JCC,jr because its a big fight. He ignores how they stole the belt or uses that as a reason they should fight. On the other hand, they won't fight Pirog because the WBO took their belt which has zero to do with Pirog other than he won the belt fair and square.

The way I see it, Martinez will fight anyone. His promoter can only get him so many people. Pirog represents risk but the same reward as Barker.

The fact remains that they have done nothing with the Jacobs win. No US fights. Just one fight since that win. What has Pirog done to set himself up as a viable risk to take? Nothing at all.

Or how about just promote the guy at all in the US? Or anywhere? Dd you see that Russian feed he was on last fight? t was like they were in a HS gym.

I doubt Pirog goes ESPN. I think what he has done is all he will do.
    The problem, IMO, is that he has two promoters, German Titov overseas and Artie Pellulo in the US. Neither seem to see eye to eye. Dmitry makes over a million to fight in Russia. Here, Artie offers him for much less just to get a shot on HBO. But they are not buying it.
    Yes. Barker is a tune-up. Why would you fight Pirog for the same money? Especially since HBO is not interested.

And yes, timing wise, Sergio would know that HBO was not interested in Pirog because at that press conference after the fight, Kery Davis said as much.
    Quotes come from this thread. Mantoya posts as "ender"

EDIt: Here's Mantoya confirming that HBO would not air the proposed Martinez vs Pirog fight from Russia for those Pirog fanboys calling Dibella a liar.

The amount and terms aren't so much that it is worth it at all. HBO would not be televising it. Russian TV would. I've been asked not to disclose the terms of the deal but if it was worth it, I'd be saying to do it. It really isn't. "Career high payday" yes. That much more than he makes now? No.
    This is even weirder because somehow Al Haymon is involved.

There's more to it then ducking him. I blame Al Haymon and the WBO for Pirog-Martinez not happening ever. All I'll say.
    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 12-25-2011, 05:23 AM.

TL;DR: When Dibella said HBO would not air a Pirog vs Martinez fight (especially from Russia), he wasn't talking shit. Pirog is making a million dollars fighting bums in Russia and sees no need to fight in the US to make a name for himself overseas.

Comment

No doubt Jacobs would have gotten his shot already lmao

edit: if he recovers and is able to box again, danny prob be back on TV in the US before this clown pirog
      Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 12-23-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Pirog had done nothing to capitalize on the Jacobs win (which is overrated anyway.) And just this week he came out and said that he won't fight Golovkin until Gennady raises his popularity level.

It's a career going to waste.

Comment

Yeah, we've known that HBO is basically punishing him for knocking Jacobs out. And the big names he wants to fight, the money just isn't worth it for either side from what I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            Yeah, we've known that HBO is basically punishing him for knocking Jacobs out. And the big names he wants to fight, the money just isn't worth it for either side from what I've seen.
            but hes also punishing himself by taking big paydays in mother russia instead of trying to get some spotlight in the us. hes not a houshold name, but he could become one if his team got their act together.

Comment

So what's Pirog's excuse for not taking on other highly ranked Middleweights from his own region?

Is that HBO's fault too?

Comment

Catch 22...............

Comment

Here's Mantoya confirming that HBO would not air the proposed Martinez vs Pirog fight from Russia for those Pirog fanboys calling Dibella a liar.

The amount and terms aren't so much that it is worth it at all. HBO would not be televising it. Russian TV would. I've been asked not to disclose the terms of the deal but if it was worth it, I'd be saying to do it. It really isn't. "Career high payday" yes. That much more than he makes now? No.

There's more to it then ducking him. I blame Al Haymon and the WBO for Pirog-Martinez not happening ever. All I'll say.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                    Here's Mantoya confirming that HBO would not air the proposed Martinez vs Pirog fight from Russia for those Pirog fanboys calling Dibella a liar.

probably talking about the jacobs fight. haymon probably blacklisted him after that ****. smh at haymon and hbo. if thats true thats disgusting.

Comment

Working...
                    X