No announcement yet.

Help with Basic Focus Mitts routines/drills

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Basic Focus Mitts routines/drills

I train at my local boxing gym 2-4 times a week. I have a coach that I do the focus mitts with maybe 3-4 times a month - not nearly as much practice that I need. I also do classes once in awhile where we partner up and hold the mitts for one another.

My objective is to become more comfortable holding the mitts and mixing up the combinations with whoever I'm partnering up with.

Questions: What are some basic focus mitts training routines and drills? Specifically, what are some punches/combinations/ weaves/ slips/blocks/ etc. routines?

Thanks in advance....

you saw this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq5hgw0GfsI

Comment

You can use the mitts for many different things to be honest. It's a broad question that you are asking. Mitts IMO are overly used by most trainers, old school trainers like Nacho and Eddie Futch didn't even use them.

They are a good tool though and I would start by simulating sparring. Basically use them to throw combos and counters to those shots. For example, slipping the jab and coming back with the right hand. Or catching the jab and firing the jab back.

Start basic until you get used to it. Those Roger Mayweather style mitts look real nice but I don't think you get much practical use outside of a good workout and hand eye coordination.

You can use the mitts for a ton of things though.

Comment

I use them for a number of different things but like cuauhtomec (i spelled right!!) said, mainly to simulate sparring and to incorporate simultaneous repetition and movement, constantly circling.

Comment

no I didn't spell it right. jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
            I train at my local boxing gym 2-4 times a week. I have a coach that I do the focus mitts with maybe 3-4 times a month - not nearly as much practice that I need. I also do classes once in awhile where we partner up and hold the mitts for one another.

My objective is to become more comfortable holding the mitts and mixing up the combinations with whoever I'm partnering up with.

Questions: What are some basic focus mitts training routines and drills? Specifically, what are some punches/combinations/ weaves/ slips/blocks/ etc. routines?

Thanks in advance....
            Here are some very basic drills you can do with the mitts. Stay away from coaches with that Roger Mayweather bs and coaches that have more than 1 drill on the mitts. That's dumb. I hope coaches start showing instead of talking because the boxing community could use their free expertise in visuals not just words. But anyway here are those drills

If you have any questions about these particular videos. Ask me and I will break them down in tutorials for you tonight. Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
              I use them for a number of different things but like cuauhtomec (i spelled right!!) said, mainly to simulate sparring and to incorporate simultaneous repetition and movement, constantly circling.
              Still spelled it wrong....hahaha

When I trained in Mexico City and learned to box there, we never used them. I tell people that and they don't believe me but a lot of the old school trainers never did.

Most learning was done in sparring to be honest and just having the coach stand in front of you just teaching you boxing. I don't see that much anymore today to be honest. It's no surprise though, since to become a boxing coach you don't need to have any boxing experience, don't need to go to some training or school.

Many fighters start being trained by their fathers. Like I said, I like simulating sparring, we spar the way we use the mitts and we fight the way we spar. A lot of other drills look nice but I can't really say how much they actually teach a young fighter to actually fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                You can use the mitts for many different things to be honest. It's a broad question that you are asking. Mitts IMO are overly used by most trainers, old school trainers like Nacho and Eddie Futch didn't even use them.

They are a good tool though and I would start by simulating sparring. Basically use them to throw combos and counters to those shots. For example, slipping the jab and coming back with the right hand. Or catching the jab and firing the jab back.

Start basic until you get used to it. Those Roger Mayweather style mitts look real nice but I don't think you get much practical use outside of a good workout and hand eye coordination.

You can use the mitts for a ton of things though.
                I'm not at the point where I can just improvise. I want a basic routine that will work for 3 minutes, I can then change it up in the next round.

What are some good, but basic, combinations and combinations mixed in with slips and weaves?

e.g. I throw a jab (one), my partner slips and then comes back with a two. OK, that's easy but I can't do that the whole round. I need to mix it up but I don't want to improvise and get the wrong technique.

Give me some easy combos that I can work with...

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                  I'm not at the point where I can just improvise. I want a basic routine that will work for 3 minutes, I can then change it up in the next round.

What are some good, but basic, combinations and combinations mixed in with slips and weaves?

e.g. I throw a jab (one), my partner slips and then comes back with a two. OK, that's easy but I can't do that the whole round. I need to mix it up but I don't want to improvise and get the wrong technique.

Give me some easy combos that I can work with...
                  If you want to start basic, basic then I can help you out. What I like to do is work with the mitts to teach boxing, in other words, go through the punches and combinations so your fighter is really learning the proper technique of each shot and defensive movement.

For example:

You can throw the jab, have slip the jab and fire the right hand back.

throw the jab, he slips catches it and fires his own jab.

He can throw the 2, 3 and he can go under the right hook and come back with the 2-3.

catch the left hook fire the left hook back.

There's literally millions of combos just think about what shots you need to counter with what shots and work on those.

More complicated mitt work involves movement, footwork, simulated sparring, catching and returning etc....

You don't have to make it complicated, just work on the basics to get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson
                    If it's not too much trouble could you upload a video showing us the execution on the mitts, please
                    I don't have videos of myself on the mitts, I'm sure some of the fighters in my gym have some they have taken.

Why would I take and keep videos of myself on the mitts? That would be a little narcissistic.

It's not really about me, it's about the kids at the gym.

Comment

Working...
                    X