No announcement yet.

ATG fights before they were greats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
    Sanchez's last fight? I'd say that pretty definitively rules it out of this thread.

Someone mentioned Vazquez & Larios, too, & while there's is certainly an interesting tale, I wouldn't call either an all-time great. It's definitely a difficult thread to pursue examples for, obviously.
    I just meant Azumah for his part, who nobody was a nobody at the time.

Comment

I know, but that's only half the criteria. It's a lot easier to come up with an instance like that one. To truly answer the thread is much more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
        I know, but that's only half the criteria. It's a lot easier to come up with an instance like that one. To truly answer the thread is much more difficult.
        Jesus Chavez (5-1-0) and Emanuel Augustus (6-2-1) both went on to be tough contenders.

edit: oh crap they have to be greats to
        Last edited by RubenSonny; 03-01-2011, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
          Jesus Chavez (5-1-0) and Emanuel Augustus (6-2-1) both went on to be tough contenders.

edit: oh crap they have to be greats to
          nah, thats good enough.

instances like the thread title are really rare, but its fun to mention any matches where both guys were obscure at the time but later on both would be top fighters in their division.

Comment

Tiger v Downes. Wouldn't call Downes an ATG but was a future world champion. Early fight in Downes career and Tiger hasn't long been in England and wasn't highly regarded at the time.

Comment

Ivan Calderon vs Miguel cotto I'n the amateurs ivan won

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
                odd sort of title, but this is what Im getting at: What is a fight between two ATGs/HOFers before they were well known or had not become world champions?

example: 18 year old Roberto Duran vs 22 year old Ernesto Marcel. Two of Panama's best fighters of all time just happened to meet up at 130lbs in 1970.

no one really knew who they were at the time, but Duran would claim the lightweight crown about 2 years later(going on to become one of the best fighters of all time) and Marcel would end up becoming featherweight champ about 2 years later as well(going on to be one of the few people to have beaten the great Alexis Arguello)

get the drift?

I don't know if this works but Roy Jones jr and Bernard Hopkins.

Also Eddie Gregory vs Matthew Franklin.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
                  nah, thats good enough.

instances like the thread title are really rare, but its fun to mention any matches where both guys were obscure at the time but later on both would be top fighters in their division.
                  1933: Cocoa Kid - Jimmy Leto?

Comment

James Page-Zack Padilla, Padilla won on points.

Comment

Not ATGs, but Simms-Barkley?

Comment

Working...
                      X