No announcement yet.

R.I.P. - Gil Clancy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. - Gil Clancy

It saddened me to learn that Hall of Fame boxing trainer and commentator, Gil Clancy, passed away this morning. Gil worked with Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Jerry Quarry as well as Gerry Cooney in his bout with Foreman. He was the first and only trainer of Emile Griffith, and led him to win both the welterweight and middleweight championships of the world. He was a class act and an asset to the great sport of boxing. He will surely be missed. May he rest in peace.

Henry

Sad news.

I remember Clancy for working with Foreman and for his great colourcommentating. He was usually teamed up with Tim Ryan and they where one of the best tandems ever.

RIP.

Comment

Sad news indeed, RIP Clancy.

Legend.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Sad news.

I remember Clancy for working with Foreman and for his great colourcommentating. He was usually teamed up with Tim Ryan and they where one of the best tandems ever.

RIP.

Oh yes Gil and Tim Ryan on CBS Sports. They were amazing. I remember one fight, back in the 80's. Alexis Arguello was making a comeback fight against Billy Costello. During the fight, Arguello seems kind of sluggish and his punches lacked snap. In the 4th round. Gil was wondering out loud when Alexis was going to land the big punch. Tim responded "But does he still have the big punch is my question Gil". As soon as he finished saying that, Arguello landed a beauty of a right hand that sent Costello crashing. As he was falling, Gil started yelling "There is your answer Tim, there is your Answer!!!!!"

RIP Gil

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
          It saddened me to learn that Hall of Fame boxing trainer and commentator, Gil Clancy, passed away this morning. Gil worked with Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Jerry Quarry as well as Gerry Cooney in his bout with Foreman. He was the first and only trainer of Emile Griffith, and led him to win both the welterweight and middleweight championships of the world. He was a class act and an asset to the great sport of boxing. He will surely be missed. May he rest in peace.

Henry
          Clancy also trained Oscar De La Hoya briefly.

Comment

Very sad, he was a legend!

Comment

Gil Clancy, “I worked Emile Griffith’s corner for over 120 rounds, and, after every one, I’d say something to him,” Clancy told The Los Angeles Times. “He asked me once, ‘Don’t I ever do anything right?’ I said: ‘You do almost everything right. But I’m looking for the perfect round.’ ”

RIP

Comment

miss his commentary, he was good with Lampley and Merchant

Comment

RIP Mr. Clancy

Comment

I went to the funeral Monday morning. I left my house in New Jersey at about 6:30 AM and got to the church about 7:45 AM, and the service started at 9:45 AM.

Bob Arum and Tim Ryan also came as well as many other boxing people.

Tim opened the serivice with a Eulogy, as he talked about his days with Gil.

After the service we all drove approx. 18 miles to the grave site where the President of Ring 8, Bob Duffy gave a short talk before introducing me. I then gave a graveside Eulogy, talking about Gil's life & career and then I gave the "9" count in Celebration of the life he gave us all.

After that I was greeted by his hold family, thanking me for everything.

__________________________________________________ __________

To the board and Members of Ring 8

I wish to thank all the members that was able to attend the wake/services of our departed member , Gil Clany , over the past week end ....the flowers that were sent was prominently showcased at the funeral home displaying our Ring 8 logo on a beautiful wreath .

I also want to especially thank Henry Hascup , who volunteered to do the final 10 count, actually Henry does a 9 Count, for Gil at the cemetery. His eulogy was a great tribute to Gil that was factual and yet very emotional ....the family , included several of his grandchildren came up to Thank Henry for doing a great job but again also thanking Ring 8 for always being there .....also present and giving assistance to Ring 8 was Stan Janousek (Glen Cove boxing Gym) who I also wish to thank ......

Let it be known that Tony Mazzarella received a communication from Kathy Burke ( Gil daughter ) stating that in lieu of flowers and/gifts all donations should be sent to VBA -ring 8 , NY in the name of Gil Clancy an organization that she said was always close to his heart

R.I.P. Gil

Bob Duffy

http://www.ring8ny.com/

__________________________________________________ _________

Here's a message I received on "Facebook" from Gil's daughter.

Dear Henry, I'm looking for contact #'s to thank you so much on behalf of my brothers and sisters. I resorted to good ol' facebook. My telephone # is xxx-xxx-xxxx, and I'd love a # to contact you. Kathy (Clancy) Burke.

I gave her my number and I just received a phone call from Kathleen, and she couldn't thank me enough. She said that at the repast they couldn't stop talking about it. She asked me how could I remember everything that her dad did and to put it in those words without using even a note. I told her that her father was easy, because he was a legend.

She also said that Gil's grandkids were all amazed what their grandfather did in his life, and when I directed the Eulogy to them, they were all in tears.

I have done approx. 200 of these Eulogy's and Bell Ceremonies, and people still today ask me why do I do it. Well, you got the answer from Gil's daughter.

Comment

Working...
                    X