Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
    Sorry Kev. Mike Trout is already taken.

That’s what I thought.

Would’ve been better if you have no answer at all.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      That’s what I thought.

Would’ve been better if you have no answer at all.

OK, I've seen guys from Mickey Mantle, to Willie Mays, to Ken Griffey Jr, to Barry (pre-peds) Bonds, to Josh Hamilton, and yes, Trout is up there with all of them.

Happy now?

Never did see Babe Ruth, or Joe DiMaggio, or Josh Bell. I ain't THAT old.

Comment

Yea, time to study up on how friendly parks used to be to extra base hits back in their time, so yeah, runs were easier to score. Homers were easier for pull hitters, especially in parks like the Polo Grounds. To left field it was 280 feet, to right field it was 257 feet.

Someone like Brett Gardner would have probably hit 40 homers consistently in Polo Grounds, given his extreme pull tendencies. With his speed, 20 triples a year would have been putting it lightly. Runs scored? Probably 150 a year.

If you are such a “student” of the game, you would know about the dimensions of the older parks. Basically an extra base hit, runs, and homer run haven.

And runs at Fenway Park, the oldest park in the MLB, are also common. Look at Devers, Betts, Martinez, Bogaerts.

Betts 135 runs scored, lead the MLB this year.

Betts was also first place last year.

Who was second place this year? Another Boston Red Sox player, Rafael Devers, 129 runs scored.

So yeah...Fenway Park plays just like it’s old school counterparts. Big green monsters allows for lots of cheap doubles, always has. And a lot of home runs for righties. Dead center field is another doubles and triples haven. The 302 feet to right field makes it a home run haven for lefty pull hitters, like for example David Ortiz.
        - -Luverly fluff!

Old time parks were 20-30% larger than today's postage stamps with fences brought in to enhance HRs.

Babe holds the distance records for the most 550'+ HRs with many outta the parks including his last at old Forbes measured @600'+ as a fat 40 yr old.

Gehrig was a line drive hitter whose HRs barely cleared the fence line. He hit one in an exhibition in Austin Texas measured at 622' that crossed the street over a 5' retaining wall to bounce that distance up a grassy hill.

Ted didn't set any record HRs, but he played in a park that disadvantaged him so that he had to go opposite field to break the shift.

Sorry to bear such sad tidings to you, so maybe time for your PhD so you can compete with me!

Ace!

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
          - -Luverly fluff!

Old time parks were 20-30% larger than today's postage stamps with fences brought in to enhance HRs.

Babe holds the distance records for the most 550'+ HRs with many outta the parks including his last at old Forbes measured @600'+ as a fat 40 yr old.

Gehrig was a line drive hitter whose HRs barely cleared the fence line. He hit one in an exhibition in Austin Texas measured at 622' that crossed the street over a 5' retaining wall to bounce that distance up a grassy hill.

Ted didn't set any record HRs, but he played in a park that disadvantaged him so that he had to go opposite field to break the shift.

Sorry to bear such sad tidings to you, so maybe time for your PhD so you can compete with me!

Ace!
          All the numbers you mentioned are mythical numbers. They are unconfirmed.

And yeah parks used to be larger back then, but like I said, easy for pull hitters to hit homers because these “larger” parks were short to left and right field. Extremely short. They were also so large to center field that a ball hit in that area were easy doubles, triples and inside-the-park-home runs.

A guy as big as Babe Ruth didn’t get 136 triples in his career because he was so fast, it was because a simple base hit to the outfield gaps, that’s now a single, was a triple back then. That also goes for runs scored. Sac flies were also easier to hit.

I wish there was a park built to replicate the Polo Grounds today, and have a special annual series there so people can see all doubles, triples and runs scored there as well as the pull hitters teeing off on balls to the short left and right porches.

Comment

Do you watch baseball?

Of course Angels need him. They have to build a team around him. They need to wait out til Pujols leaves in order to go out and get players. They have a good shot at getting Gerrit Cole this offseason.

Trout is known as an all around great player, in every category. He’s the gold standard. Scouts look for “the next Trout”.

Trout is not only the best offensive player, he’s a gold glove caliber player in the outfield despite never winning one. And you don’t run on Trout, he has a cannon. Oh and did I mention that he also steals bases? He has 200 stolen bases. If he wants he can steal 50 a year. His bosses probably don’t want him to, to avoid injury when sliding into second base. But he has stolen anywhere from 10 to 50 bases a year in the years before.

He’s all around a great player. Not many of you know who he is apparently, he’s not a flashy player. He’s all business. But he is already considered the greatest player of all time by many.
            Value....this is the word that gets me. In what capacity is a person most valuable ?

IMHO, if the guy is on a losing team, he should only be considered ''MV''P of his team.

If an MVP needs other good players around him, then maybe one of those new guys is more valuable.
            Maybe guys don't mind pitching to Trout because, as we see, one guy can't do it all.

He's been around since 2011, Angels have 4 .500+ seasons and only 1 postseason appearance (got swept. He went 1 for 12).

IMHO, for a team to have a legitimate ''MVP'', that team should have something to show for it (other than gaudy stats).

Obviously I'm in the 1% on this matter.

Edit -
            To increase my popularity on the MVP issue, I will also go out on a limb and say pitchers should never ever win an MVP award. Not unless they play 100+ games and bat .300 as well as having a -3 era and 30 wins.....
            Last edited by Curtis Harper; 11-16-2019, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
              Saying Angels is an l.a. team

Is like saying trash clippers is an l.a. nba team
              The Anaheim Angels.... I trip off of that team. Marketing Marketing Marketing..

They are the Disneyland Anaheim Angles to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                The Anaheim Angels.... I trip off of that team. Marketing Marketing Marketing..

They are the Disneyland Anaheim Angles to me.
                Los angeles Angels of Anaheim

When I was a kid they claimed all of california

California Angels

Except dodgers, giants, a's and even Padres all had more fans.

Comment

And yeah parks used to be larger back then, but like I said, easy for pull hitters to hit homers because these “larger” parks were short to left and right field. Extremely short. They were also so large to center field that a ball hit in that area were easy doubles, triples and inside-the-park-home runs.

A guy as big as Babe Ruth didn’t get 136 triples in his career because he was so fast, it was because a simple base hit to the outfield gaps, that’s now a single, was a triple back then. That also goes for runs scored. Sac flies were also easier to hit.

I wish there was a park built to replicate the Polo Grounds today, and have a special annual series there so people can see all doubles, triples and runs scored there as well as the pull hitters teeing off on balls to the short left and right porches.
                  - -You Peter Pan using WAR mythology mumbo jumbo complete with majic unicorn numbers or just the tooth faery spreading rhinestones under your pillow talk?

The HRs were written about, ie confirmed, and the Gehrig one was easy to measure since it was down the middle over the 401' Centerfield fence into a vast open space.

Face facts, them ol'Timers were all around players and athletes with real man gonads, not the Sissyboys of today like BALCO Barry whose timeline legally written in stone when in his waning year suddenly spiked his BA, OB%,SA, HR, and Run Production% by 30 to 60%.

Save them majic numbers for your little glee club. I'm talkin' unadorned hardball played when men were still men and not the pink lumps of fluff today.

Trout and others deserve better than what you fanboys got today for them.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                    - -You Peter Pan using WAR mythology mumbo jumbo complete with majic unicorn numbers or just the tooth faery spreading rhinestones under your pillow talk?

The HRs were written about, ie confirmed, and the Gehrig one was easy to measure since it was down the middle over the 401' Centerfield fence into a vast open space.

Face facts, them ol'Timers were all around players and athletes with real man gonads, not the Sissyboys of today like BALCO Barry whose timeline legally written in stone when in his waning year suddenly spiked his BA, OB%,SA, HR, and Run Production% by 30 to 60%.

Save them majic numbers for your little glee club. I'm talkin' unadorned hardball played when men were still men and not the pink lumps of fluff today.

Trout and others deserve better than what you fanboys got today for them.
                    Lol wow you actually believe your own nonsense.

Comment

I actually saw a baseball game at the Polo Grounds.

Here is the first stadium the Dodgers played in when they moved to LA, before the Chavez Ravine stadium was built. It was the old Olympic Stadium, build for track and field. Take a look at left field....250' home runs to left, 440' fly outs to right!

Last edited by Mooshashi; 11-16-2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X