Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deciding factor of the fight. Only serious opinions please.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding factor of the fight. Only serious opinions please.

I am betting on this fight and have been looking at all the advantages canelo has, like counterpunching ability, head and waist movement, combinations. I'm trying to make a case in the lines of many ppl in boxing's beleif that canelo will outbox him and maybe stop him. I have even looked at GGG's inability to fight on the inside and that canelo might eat him up there. There is only one thing that doesn't add up when contemplating a posible canelo victory and I can't get around it. That's the fact that he always (in each and every one of his fights) fights in spurts. You never see him active for the full 3 minutes of a round. And you simply can't afford to do that against GGG. He WILL make you pay and possibly stop you if you start taking off parts of a round and just stay standing there, because if there's a thing we do know is golovkin knows how to get to you and put his shots well to harm you and there is no way you are just going to take his power and move on at this weight class. What y'all think? Do you have a way around this factor?

That's one of the things that could be Canelo's downfall. He fights in spurts and GGG could make him work more than he likes to. Canelo likes to admire his work a bit and fight at his own pace. That along with his flat feet will get him caught. His upper body movement is good as you said, but he'll still be somewhat in front of GGG all the time and that's not good. That constant pressure will eventually penetrate the defensive of Canelo and shots will get through. Canelo has a good defence but it's not Floyd level. GGG will be able to find him.

I think you need to be able to move with your feet too to beat GGG, and move intelligently at that. If you just move for the sake of it, then that's not good because GGG is too good at cutting the ring off. Jacobs had a nice blend of having power you need to respect along with intelligent movement so he give GGG some problems. Jacobs knew when to move and when to stay, which is always important and he had the ability to do it too. Canelo doesn't have that ability.
    Last edited by TheBigLug; 09-11-2017, 02:13 PM.

Comment

To say he can't afford to fight in spurts can only mean that your under the assumption that Canelo doesn't have enough fire power or isn't accurate enough, Canelo can definitely afford to take breaks, his countering punching ability and power allows him that. Canelo can also work his way in to find some breathing room.

The deciding factor for me and why I favor Canelo is that Golovkin hasn't faced anyone who can operate on the inside or anyone who's as good a body puncher, it's easy to keep trucking forward when no one is touching your body.

I think we need to erase this thought that Golovkin is gonna keep moving forward, you can do that against the Macklin, Stevens or Murrays of the world, not Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
        To say he can't afford to fight in spurts can only mean that your under the assumption that Canelo doesn't have enough fire power or isn't accurate enough, Canelo can definitely afford to take breaks, his countering punching ability and power allows him that. Canelo can also work his way in to find some breathing room.

The deciding factor for me and why I favor Canelo is that Golovkin hasn't faced anyone who can operate on the inside or anyone who's as good a body puncher, it's easy to keep trucking forward when no one is touching your body.

I think we need to erase this thought that Golovkin is gonna keep moving forward, you can do that against the Macklin, Stevens or Murrays of the world, not Canelo.
        That for me is going to be a big factor in the fight, how much GGG respects Canelo's power. I know Canelo is accurate and sharp and that can make fighters gun shy in it's own right, like Floyd did with his opponents. You just wonder if GGG finds out he has absolutely no respect for Canelo's power, then that undoes a lot of Canelo's best attributes i think. Even being sharp and accurate, it will be a very difficult night in the ring with GGG if he has no respect for your power.

Also you have to remember that Canelo might be a bit more apprehensive about countering than usual, cos he worries more about what might coming back. He might try to counter with more single shots than combinations. In that sense, it could be more of a tentative fight and more of a chess match than people think.

I think Canelo really needs to get GGG's respect early. I also think body work is a key factor for Canelo in this fight.

Comment

Murray fought George Groves to a decision. I'll take him over Canelo any time in a fight.

Comment

I feel like Canelo controls the pace of this fight thats how it gets solved to me. I think Canelo's elusiveness & counterpunching will have GGG more cautious & tentative leaving many spots where the fighters are jockeying for position & not doing a whole lot keeping the pace more to Canelo's liking. I think the GGG we see earlier will be like the one we saw vs David where he used his jab A LOT & didn't push the pace all that much early. I think if GGG does try to push the pace I think Canelo landing a nice lil flurry or two will alter that real quick & bring back a more careful GGG.

That said my one big concern is being unsure of how well Canelo takes GGG's power. If he doesn't take his well then he might not be able to keep GGG overly honest like he was vs David & GGG could come hard & this is a war that GGG is likely best armed to win.

Comment

Has Canelo ever met anyone as good a body puncher as GGG?

Comment

Originally posted by BIPBAP View Post
                I am betting on this fight and have been looking at all the advantages canelo has, like counterpunching ability, head and waist movement, combinations. I'm trying to make a case in the lines of many ppl in boxing's beleif that canelo will outbox him and maybe stop him. I have even looked at GGG's inability to fight on the inside and that canelo might eat him up there. There is only one thing that doesn't add up when contemplating a posible canelo victory and I can't get around it. That's the fact that he always (in each and every one of his fights) fights in spurts. You never see him active for the full 3 minutes of a round. And you simply can't afford to do that against GGG. He WILL make you pay and possibly stop you if you start taking off parts of a round and just stay standing there, because if there's a thing we do know is golovkin knows how to get to you and put his shots well to harm you and there is no way you are just going to take his power and move on at this weight class. What y'all think? Do you have a way around this factor?
                You're falling into the trap boxing fans often do where they haven't seen a guy lose, so they can't picture it. Look at his last two fights. You'll see vulnerabilities exposed by fighters who aren't on Canelo's level. It's up to you to decide if Canelo can target those weaknesses. IMO, it's 50/50 and those claiming it's an easy fight to predict are foolish. It could easily go either way. I believe it comes to whether GG can consistently land that jab. Everything will be rooted in that.

Comment

The deciding factor in this fight is GGGs power. You can have the better defence or better counter punches but he will catch up with canelo at some point and stop him.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    You're falling into the trap boxing fans often do where they haven't seen a guy lose, so they can't picture it. Look at his last two fights. You'll see vulnerabilities exposed by fighters who aren't on Canelo's level. It's up to you to decide if Canelo can target those weaknesses. IMO, it's 50/50 and those claiming it's an easy fight to predict are foolish. It could easily go either way. I believe it comes to whether GG can consistently land that jab. Everything will be rooted in that.
                    You could say that Canelo is better than those fighters and you're probably right, but i'd also say that those fighters had some sides to their game that Canelo doesn't. So you're right, does Canelo have it in his locker to target those weaknesses? personally i'm not so sure. We'll find out. Or will he expose other vulnerabilities that nobody else has in GGG? and vice versa. We've seen Canelo struggle with movers, but we've never really had to see him in with a top level strong puncher and true middleweight like GGG, will that expose things in Canelo we haven't seen yet?

It's a really intriguing fight really. Both have shown weaknesses in the past against fighters that are very different to the opponent they're facing on saturday. So in that sense, it's almost impossible to analyse this fight based on previous performances. You can't even take much from their current form except GGG hasn't looked as spectacular in his last 2. Canelo has looked good coming in but then it was against Chavez Jr who is terrible, Smith who is domestic level and Khan who couldn't even take a shot at lightweight.

It really is an interesting one. As much as we know these fighters, there's still a lot of unknowns when they're put head to head and style for style.

Comment

Working...
                    X