Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is women's MMA the end of women's boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is women's MMA the end of women's boxing?

After watching the UFC main event last night I am wondering if this could be the end of Female boxing? Why would a women want to compete in the sport of boxing anymore when they could be in the UFC and making big time money fighting in front of millions of people. I know female boxing just got added to the Olympics but I could really see this having a major impact on the sport.

They don't make much, what made you think that? The TOP male contenders dream of making millions in the UFC.

Comment

Did male MMA kill male boxing?

and even the men in UFC are paid ****
      Last edited by croz; 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Stop comparing it to male boxing and male mma, two totally different things.

When was the last time two women boxers were watched by millions of viewers? Not trying to make this another mma vs boxing war, just worried about the sport of boxing.

Comment

Who the **** cares bro? Their girls, they will most likely get pregnant or something during their prime and go back to where they belong.. the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by Escobedo View Post
            After watching the UFC main event last night I am wondering if this could be the end of Female boxing? Why would a women want to compete in the sport of boxing anymore when they could be in the UFC and making big time money fighting in front of millions of people. I know female boxing just got added to the Olympics but I could really see this having a major impact on the sport.
            Why does every brain dead UFC fan ask questions like this? Ugh.UFC has nothing to do with boxing- get it in your thick heads- no matter what Dana tells you.

That said, I'll bite:

1. Women's boxing has never been popular. It's horribly untechnical and boring to watch. It (like a lot of womens sports) shows low athletic ability (comparted to men) and a lot of flailing (notable exceptions).

2. Last nights UFC match showed that because of the grappling element, Women's MMA can be crowd pleasing and fun to watch. Honestly that fight reminded me a lot of a low level BJJ tournament or the early UFC before Zuffa when Royce gracie would use BJJ on people. Basically it was a fun grappling much and the reason Rhonda got off the transitions and technical escapes she did is because at a lower level grappling is very exciting because low level grapplers have not learned good defense.

Basically low level grappling = exciting
            Low level striking = boring and ugly and painful to watch

The above is true for women or men. So in womens boxing where all it is is striking, you get a very ugly flailing brawl most times. Right now, in MMA because the talent pool is low, you'll get a lot of demo style highlight reel grappling matches. Rest assured that if any of these women in MMA decided to "stand and wang" or do a mostly standup fight, it will be very ugly and boring and the crowd will turn.

Fun main event last night.

3. Please stop comparing MMA to boxing. It's old and is the same tired stuff stupid MMA fanboys who started watching that sport 3 years come up with because idiots like Dana White say it on TV.

Comment

women's mma is good if you need to rub one out and you're short on material.

can't say the same for women's boxing

Comment

Rousey is strictly a ground game fighter, she sucks at striking. The only reason she got that spot was because she is a novelty act, attractive and she always wins via armbar.

Comment

Stop comparing it to male boxing and male mma, two totally different things.

When was the last time two women boxers were watched by millions of viewers? Not trying to make this another mma vs boxing war, just worried about the sport of boxing.
                  During the Olympics it was watched by millions around the world.

Around half of Ireland watched Katie Taylor's fights, and did so just the other night again. She was voted Ireland's favourite athletes replacing Brian O Driscoll for the first time in years.

In Mexico there are women's boxing matches getting over 30 million viewers.

In Argenina last month a woman's boxing match had 50k in attendance.

In Germany they frequently show women's boxing which have pulled more than 7 million viewers.

Claressa Shields was voted one of the UK's favourite athletes.

Mary Kom was picked as India's favourite athelte.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    women's mma is good if you need to rub one out and you're short on material.

can't say the same for women's boxing
                    lol, nice :bukkake:

Comment

Working...
                    X