No announcement yet.

Need help asap..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help asap..

Hey guys, basically ive still training at the gym, Im doing more sparring, which is going ok (my trainer always says its good but I dont always see it that way)

Anyway my issue is footwork, when Im being hit I just stand there, it sounds stupid but Instead of moving away and getting out of range then using my jab to keep distance like I should be, I just stand there take the shots.

Anyone know any good drils to help me move me feet abit more freely, Im never going to be light on my feet I just want to be able to get myself out of trouble when I need to, I know how to pivot of shots I just dont use it very often.

Thanks guys and gals

Alex

Are you not happy with your trainer? Seems he'd (or she?) the guy to go to for this information. Otherwise you may have a bigger problem than footwork.

So when you say you "just stand there" - are you just covering up and taking the shots, do you have any head movement, are you countering at all?
    I guess what I am asking is, are you doing anything defensively or offensively?

Also, how long have you been boxing? (This question isn't to rag on you or call you a noob or anything, just an indicator of what you've probably got a good feel for and what you might be more comfortable with)

- Without knowing exactly what you're doing, I'd say you may need some time on the slip/maize bag. Start with just some basic slipping and pivoting.
    - Shadowbox for footwork, or get someone to spar with you with the idea of working soley on your footwork. (get someone who needs to work on cutting off the ring... should be fun)
    Last edited by DIB42; 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

You'll learn with more sparring. There are no drills or anything like that that can build up fight experience besides sparring. You either want to get hit or you don't want to. Another thing that can help to build confidence enough to know how to react under fire is spar someone less experienced. And then once comfortable you can up it a notch and seehow you put what you've learned into practice. But no, there are no drills orbpadwork that can help besides more and more fighting.

Comment

Cheers guys, ive only been into boxing (at a gym) for about 5-6 months.

All I do is stand there and cover up, I dont really counter. I had a long session based around this last thursday with one of the trainers. He helped alot and we did drills like he rushed me and I had to pivot out into space but always trying to hold the centre of the ring, I will be sparring next week so will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Alex

Comment

Also with regards to sparring someone less experienced my trainer doesn't put me in with less experienced people he says "he doesn't see the point" Only once have I been in with someone with less experience than me and we only had a condition spar, the condition being I could only jab and he could throw anything. He jumped in trying to knock my head off and I got knocked around the ring for most of the time we were in there together.

Alex

Comment

Shadowbox more, with emphasis on footwork. You have to be able to move around to where you need to be in the ring, without thinking about it. It should be practiced so often that instinct and muscle memory does all the work without you thinking about it.

Also it sounds like you need some tools when you're in that situation. If someone is swarming you, you can't really expect to just stand there and jab your way out, unless you have a killer jab. You're going to need some counters, you're going to need to slip, move, bob & weave, throw meaningful punches etc.

Comment

Thanks DIB, I will try shadowboxing more. He does say I have a killer jab and I can tell in sparring and from what partners have told me that its pretty powerful, but I dont like the idea of only having that when they swarm me, I want to be more complete and harder to predict.

Thanks

Alex

Comment

Shorten/tighten up some of your other punches so you can use them at close range and not leave yourself too open. If you can't keep a guy off of you with your jab, and your only weapon is your jab.... you're kinda in bad shape

Comment

Will do pal, thanks

Alex

Comment

Working...
                  X