Collapse
No announcement yet.

12/21/12 is almost here. . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guarantee something will happen. The sun will rise, travel through the sky, an set eventually. People will wake up and live their lives.

And in between, a couple of nutjobs will likely be responsible for the deaths of a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      I guarantee something will happen. The sun will rise, travel through the sky, an set eventually. People will wake up and live their lives.

And in between, a couple of nutjobs will likely be responsible for the deaths of a lot of people.
      Oh god there's a thought. People convinced it's everyone's last day on earth, want to know what it's like to kill a man. Pathetic

Comment

The world will end, just wait and see.

Comment

If everything ends.

Take me out with this playing in my head....

Maybe I will understand.

Comment

The world ends when your dead.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
              Oh god there's a thought. People convinced it's everyone's last day on earth, want to know what it's like to kill a man. Pathetic
              I'd be surprised if that didn't happen, unfortunately. A lot of people are dumb and crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                What you have to keep in mind is a lot of beliefs get spread or come from the same source, I'm not sure there is evidence both factions reached the date independently and why did any of these civilizations leave no reasoning for this date behind?

It's a bit like 25 December being an important celebration in the Pagan calendar so it was interpreted into the bible.

I would argue the only way humans can be enlightened or change for the better is mass extermination or a visit from some super natural entity who starts moderating things a bit better. The first being much more likely than the second.

And yeah the Mayans were not better astronomers from the ground than we are with the Hubble Space Telescope, nor are they better mathematicians. I doubt they even had the concept of algebra nailed down but I could be wrong.
                "What you have to keep in mind is a lot of beliefs get spread or come from the same source, I'm not sure there is evidence both factions reached the date independently and why did any of these civilizations leave no reasoning for this date behind?"

You may be right about the Pagans, that's not my area of expertise but I can assure you that's not the case with the Maya/Olmec. The Olmec predate the Maya by a few thousand years, they had no contact or association with eachother. The Aztecs however did save a lot of the Mayan writings, like the Dresden Codex and scribes. But even though the Maya laid the foundation for Aztec civilization, the Aztec developed their own belief systems and writings.

"I would argue the only way humans can be enlightened or change for the better is mass extermination or a visit from some super natural entity who starts moderating things a bit better. The first being much more likely than the second."

Eh? A tad bit extreme don't you think? Obviously the world is in a very messed up state right now, but contrary to what many pessimists would like to believe, many people are already beginning to wake up and question the circumstances of the world. In a sense, mankind is already becoming 'enlightened' that's why the world is so tense right now among other reasons..

"And yeah the Mayans were not better astronomers from the ground than we are with the Hubble Space Telescope, nor are they better mathematicians. I doubt they even had the concept of algebra nailed down but I could be wrong."

Well yeah, I didn't say the Mayans were better astronomers than the hubble telescope lol, but they were in fact among the most advanced astronomers of the ancient world, and though I'm not quite sure if they were able to form algebraic equations, their system of mathematics and their mathematical achievements are world renowned. Even the Spanish were absolutely stunned by the writings of the Mayans and Aztecs, so much so that they deemed it the work of the devil,

The Europeans couldn't even grasp the concept of the zero, the Mayans had been teaching these concepts, and others that Europeans couldn't grasp, such as the world being round and not flat, since their beginnings.

Comment

this thread made me re-watch the film 2012... it was not very good... even after a dialled down expectation i usually do for "popcorn flicks..."

Comment

Just anotha Y2K type thing. Ain't shit gonna happen. Ppl just makin sumthin outta nothin.

I'd like to think the world won't end til I hear that my ex fiancee has been brutally murdered by someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                      Yea about 500 million couples will get married on that date
                      ...to be followed by 500 million annulments on December 22

Comment

Working...
                      X