Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cook vs Rios

I'm just reporting the news because the media didnt cover it to well

Jason Cook on the left

Argentina's Aldo Rios claimed Jason Cook's IBO lightweight crown with a third-round stoppage in Hereford.
    Maesteg's Cook opened confidently, looking to off-load powerful left hooks, but Rios looked classier and landed with some sharp counter-shots.

The challenger began to off-load in the second, shaking Cook with a right.

A straight right dropped Cook in the third, the Welshman climbing to his feet but proving defenceless from the next attack as the referee stopped it.

The loss was just the second of Cook's career, taking the 29-year-old's record to 23-2-0 (10 KOs).

Thirty-year-old Rios' record moves to 39-3-0 (8 KOs), this proving his first win outside Argentina, although each defeat was against world-class opposition.

Cook vowed to come back from the defeat, saying: "I took things a bit easy and got caught cold more than anything.

"This may have been a step too far, but I'll be back.

"I made the weight all right, but maybe it's time to step up, I'm strong enough to carry my weight.

"I had a setback earlier in my career and came back with 18 good wins, so I'll be back this time."

Cook's a decent fighter, it makes Hatton win over Rios a little more respectable
    Last edited by elveiel; 11-09-2004, 06:02 AM.

word is cook was ridiculously weight drained hence his resistence went, however no excuse in my view, still opens up the lightweights for my tip Dean phillips. watch him go, he is fighting bennett on 19th nov, but tis not televised,
    skelton long is instead for the brit h/weight champ. (ill be there covering that one)

Comment

I can't understand why Sky aren't showing Bennett/Phillips, it's a good domestic fight and they've shown much worse in the past.
      As for Jason Cook, it is true that he has had trouble doing the weight for ages, that's how he lost his European title isn't it?
      Rios however looked like the natural 140lb fighter, bigger & stronger and it was a hard nights work for Cook anyway without being weight drained so let him come back at lt welter and we'll see how he does.

Comment

Did anyone see the undercard nonsense? John Simpson clearly beat Dazzo Williams but was robbed big time by the hometown decision, it's the most stupid thing to have only the ref scoring the fight, Nicky Piper said in the studio that the board of control find advantages and disadvantages to it but want to keep it for now to expect a guy to referee a bout and score at the same time is too much

Comment

THINK THE REF **** HIMSELF AT THTE POTENTIAL FOR A RIOT IN THE CROWD TO BE HONEST

was a robbery though totla robbery Dazzo was awful. Simposon looked good his time will come but that decision 3was a joke.

as for cook, I dont reckon he is good enough to be honest. He found his level and its in beytween European and Domestic.

fancy the smaller and younger namesake Nicky to do better.

Comment

I was quite impressed with Rios. How far do you guys reckon he could go?

I know he lost to Hatton, but he was fighting above his weight.

Comment

The Jon simpson fight was a complete sham. Just makes sky looks even dumber! The fight wasnt even close. And only one judge (referee), what's all that about?!

Comment

Originally posted by JPW
                word is cook was ridiculously weight drained hence his resistence went, however no excuse in my view, still opens up the lightweights for my tip Dean phillips. watch him go, he is fighting bennett on 19th nov, but tis not televised,
                skelton long is instead for the brit h/weight champ. (ill be there covering that one)
                is dean philips the guy who fought one armed when trying tomake a lonsdale belt his own.??

Comment

no dont think so this is dean, he come son boxrec a lot iseems a real nice chap always asking opinions and answering questions

http://dynamitedeanphillips.com/

respect

Comment

Working...
                  X