Chuck Liddell vs. Anderson Silva, Forrest Griffin vs. Wanderlei Silva

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Liddell vs. Anderson Silva, Forrest Griffin vs. Wanderlei Silva

Chris Insinna

The UFC’s year-end event is typically the promotion’s most-stacked card of the year and this year should be no exception.

In the headline bout of the December 27th event, UFC 92, “The Ultimate Fighter 8″ coaches, interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and former heavyweight champion Frank Mir, are set to square off for the UFC’s heavyweight title and joining them with co-main event status could be one of three top matchups.

According to NBCSports.com the UFC is likely to sweeten the pot for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre in an attempt to convince him take on UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn at the December event (as opposed to early-2009). However, if that bout fails to materialize UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva could return to the 205-pound light heavyweight division to take on former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell or newly-crowned light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin could put his title on the line against former PRIDE champion Wanderlei Silva.

“[Anderson Silva vs. Chuck Liddell] has a few obstacles in its path,” said the NBCSports.com report. “Liddell is fighting in September, so assuming he wins, he’d have enough time to recover. But Silva is competing on Oct. 25 against Patrick Cote. He’d have to come out of that match unscathed and take a fight with only two months to prepare against Liddell.”

“Some have suggested Forrest Griffin’s first title defense as a possibility, and the only contender that will be ready by Dec. 27 is Wanderlei Silva, so if Griffin were to defend the belt on that night, it would likely be against the “Axe Murderer”,” the report continued. “Silva, however, seems to be expecting to fight [Quinton] Rampage Jackson.”

Now We Get To See Anderson's Chin Strength. I Like Chuck, But Have To Go With Anderson Edging Him Out On A Decision.

Comment

if these fights pan out for the end of the year, i may have to make the trip to vegas

Comment

I'd have to doubt that the fights will pan out exactly as the topic implies.

but who knows, as there's still a fair amount of time between now and New Year's Eve.

**surprised to see no talks of Liddell vs Forrest as I thought that would be more likely then Wanderlei vs Forrest, since Chuck did get the W over Silva.

Comment

Nah I think its still too early, things might change.

Comment

I hope Wanderlei fights Forrest, he will ****ing kill him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mozza View Post
              I hope Wanderlei fights Forrest, he will ****ing kill him.
              but why would Wand get a crack at the Title before Liddell? I'd have to question it. Especially since W. Silva is only on a 1 fight win streak.

plus wouldn't Dana White be more likely to let his poster boy Chuck Liddell fight Forest Griffin for the belt?

and if Liddell can beat Forrest .... Anderson Silva vs Chuck Liddell would be a huge fight.

plus it would be for the title. Where right now, if Chuck fought Anderson, it would be kinda pointless.

hey it's all hypothetical, but I would think Dana White would want Liddell as Champion vs Anderson Silva .. rather then face Anderson with no belt.

Comment

MMA fatties fight like bums. 9/10 a well schooled boxer would KO them fat bums like Rampage.

Comment

Wanderlei Silva will beat griffin if they meet,theres been loads of storys that Wanderlei Silva knocked out Forrest when he was helping him train for the rampage!

Comment

Working...
                  X