No announcement yet.

Fate of Universe revealed by galactic lens

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fate of Universe revealed by galactic lens

Looks like it's The Big Freeze that awaits our Universe.

A "galactic lens" has revealed that the Universe will probably expand forever.

Astronomers used the way that light from distant stars was distorted by a huge galactic cluster known as Abell 1689 to work out the amount of dark energy in the cosmos.

Dark energy is a mysterious force that speeds up the expansion of the Universe.

Understanding the distribution of this force revealed that the likely fate of the Universe was to keep on expanding.

It will eventually become a cold, dead wasteland, researchers say.

The study, conducted by an international team led by Professor Eric Jullo of Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, is published in the journal Science.

Dark energy makes up three-quarters of our Universe but is totally invisible. We only know it exists because of its effect on the expansion of the Universe.

To work out how dark energy is spread through space, astronomers used the Hubble Space Telescope to observe the way that light from distant stars was distorted around Abell 1689, a nearby cluster of galaxies.

Abell 1689, found in the constellation of Virgo, is one of the biggest galactic clusters known to science.

[IMG]http://ist1-4.filesor.com/***********.com/1/_/_/_/1/i/V/9/A/iV9A/_48800120_middlelens.jpg[/IMG]

The huge galactic cluster known as Abell 1689 acted as a cosmic magnifying glass

[IMG]http://ist1-4.filesor.com/***********.com/1/_/_/_/1/i/V/9/C/iV9C/_48800122_gravit_lensing464x207.gif[/IMG]

Light bends around massive galaxy clusters, allowing distant objects to be seen

Because of its huge mass, the cluster acts as a cosmic magnifying glass, causing light to bend around it.

The way in which light is distorted by this cosmic lens depends on three factors: how far away the distant object is; the mass of Abell 1689; and the distribution of dark energy.

The astronomers were able to measure the first two variables using the European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope, enabling them to calculate this crucial third factor.
    Cold comfort

Knowing the distribution of dark energy tells astronomers that the Universe will continue to get bigger indefinitely.

Eventually it will become a cold, dead wasteland with a temperature approaching what scientists term "absolute zero".

Professor Priyamvada Natarajan of Yale University, a leading cosmologist and co-author of this study, said that the findings finally proved "exactly what the fate of the Universe will be".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11030889

Yeah, I think we already knew the Universe was expanding "Einstein".

Comment

Originally posted by Oasis_Lad View Post
      Looks like it's The Big Freeze that awaits our Universe.

Astronomers used the way that light from distant stars was distorted by a huge galactic cluster known as Abell 1689 to work out the amount of dark energy in the cosmos.

Dark energy is a mysterious force that speeds up the expansion of the Universe.

Understanding the distribution of this force revealed that the likely fate of the Universe was to keep on expanding.

It will eventually become a cold, dead wasteland, researchers say.

The study, conducted by an international team led by Professor Eric Jullo of Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, is published in the journal Science.

Dark energy makes up three-quarters of our Universe but is totally invisible. We only know it exists because of its effect on the expansion of the Universe.

To work out how dark energy is spread through space, astronomers used the Hubble Space Telescope to observe the way that light from distant stars was distorted around Abell 1689, a nearby cluster of galaxies.

Abell 1689, found in the constellation of Virgo, is one of the biggest galactic clusters known to science.

[IMG]http://ist1-4.filesor.com/***********.com/1/_/_/_/1/i/V/9/A/iV9A/_48800120_middlelens.jpg[/IMG]

The huge galactic cluster known as Abell 1689 acted as a cosmic magnifying glass

[IMG]http://ist1-4.filesor.com/***********.com/1/_/_/_/1/i/V/9/C/iV9C/_48800122_gravit_lensing464x207.gif[/IMG]

Light bends around massive galaxy clusters, allowing distant objects to be seen

Because of its huge mass, the cluster acts as a cosmic magnifying glass, causing light to bend around it.

The way in which light is distorted by this cosmic lens depends on three factors: how far away the distant object is; the mass of Abell 1689; and the distribution of dark energy.

The astronomers were able to measure the first two variables using the European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope, enabling them to calculate this crucial third factor.
      Cold comfort

Knowing the distribution of dark energy tells astronomers that the Universe will continue to get bigger indefinitely.

Eventually it will become a cold, dead wasteland with a temperature approaching what scientists term "absolute zero".

Professor Priyamvada Natarajan of Yale University, a leading cosmologist and co-author of this study, said that the findings finally proved "exactly what the fate of the Universe will be".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11030889

i belive space to be falling over the edge of the 13.8 billion light year universe at the speed of light creating a viscosity with in space that warps not only light relative to th observer but also time and gravity.

thus nothing is actually moving away its just the infinate expansion of space into the ifnately large relative singularity existing beyond 13,810,931,000 light years that makes everything appear to be red shifted as well as its viscosity as it flows through the dimensions that we exist in that result in th apparent gravitational lensing which i dont really think is gravitational but more so an effect of space altering time altering the gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by Stone Roses! View Post
        Yeah, I think we already knew the Universe was expanding "Einstein".
        Which isn't what the article is about, "Newton"

The article is about the fate of the universe. Cosmologists have wondered if our Universe would either die in The Big Rip, The Big Crunch, or the Big Freeze.

This article, with recent data, says that the Universe will end in what Scientists dub 'The Big Freeze'

Comment

Originally posted by Oasis_Lad View Post
          Which isn't what the article is about, "Newton"

The article is about the fate of the universe. Cosmologists have wondered if our Universe would either die in The Big Rip, The Big Crunch, or the Big Freeze.

This article, with recent data, says that the Universe will end in what Scientists dub 'The Big Freeze'
          Oh, Golly Miss Molly.

Captain Obvious to the rescue.

Comment

Originally posted by Stone Roses! View Post
            Oh, Golly Miss Molly.

Captain Obvious to the rescue.
            whats really interesting is that using gravitational lensing they were able to make a map of dark energy and probly just as easily dark matter.

Comment

Comment

BTW lad, my statement was directed to this line;

No. It didn't reveal that.

/ ****.

Comment

Damn, I just noticed;

I'm hung like a donkey.

Comment

I thought the part about the "galactic cluster acted as a cosmic magnifying glass" was cool Oasis_Lad.

Comment

Working...
                    X