Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you have never even faced another p4p top 10 fighter how can you be p4p#1?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rock&Roll View Post
    Floyd never beat a p4p fighter to be on top of the list.
    Corrales was top 5 P4P when Mayweather beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
      Pretty simple question
      Because there are 17 weight divisions. You can dominate your weight far beyond what any other fighter is accomplishing at their weight and that doesn't necessarily mean you'll encounter another top 10 P4P guy in your division.

If there's a 42% chance a division won't have any top 10 P4P guys in it, what are the chances of a division having two? Not very good.

Comment

Some people say Ward should be #1 as he has the best resume of all active fighters. If that was true, it would be a false claim as Pacquiao still fights.

The whole top 10 P4P list is purely opinion based with a thousand different variables on what a person likes.

I don't even try to follow a P4P methodology but if I did. I would look at it like of all the fighters out there, who at this period of time looks to be at the top of their game and the most difficult to beat? Who is truly dominant?

Some say GGG, but in his last fight he looked pretty beatable to me. Same with Ward. Same with Kovalev.

The whole idea is flawed.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          P4P is a misused term. It is supposed to compare fighters across the board at the same mythical weight class. Honestly I don't see how Ward's style and skills would put him at the top of the list ahead of Gonzalez, Loma, Garcia, PAC, Crawford or Thurman. They would be too fast for him and his clinching, low output, and dirty tactics wouldn't work to his advantage the way it did with lumbering Euro-bots at 168/175 that he was thriving against.
          Silly way to determine P4P because if Ward was 112 pounds, he'd be so fast it'd be ridiculous. And if Chocolatito was 168 pounds, he'd be so slow.

The only logical way to rank fighters P4P is to judge who is accomplishing the most at their weight, dominating their weight, etc.

So even though GGG is only 160 pounds and would get destroyed by Anthony Joshua, GGG is accomplishing more at middleweight and dominating middleweight more than Joshua is at heavyweight. Therefore, P4P, GGG deserves the higher ranking. He's doing more at his weight.

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
            Silly way to determine P4P because if Ward was 112 pounds, he'd be so fast it'd be ridiculous. And if Chocolatito was 168 pounds, he'd be so slow.

The only logical way to rank fighters P4P is to judge who is accomplishing the most at their weight, dominating their weight, etc.

So even though GGG is only 160 pounds and would get destroyed by Anthony Joshua, GGG is accomplishing more at middleweight and dominating middleweight more than Joshua is at heavyweight. Therefore, P4P, GGG deserves the higher ranking. He's doing more at his weight.
            The problem with this is not all weight classes are equal in skill, resume etc. so to make sure its not really the poor opposition maybe you should jump up and dominate there.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
              The problem with this is not all weight classes are equal in skill, resume etc. so to make sure its not really the poor opposition maybe you should jump up and dominate there.
              Or a guy is so good that he makes great fighters look ordinary. You can only really know how good somebody is compared to somebody else. Trying to figure out how the #8 cruiserweight compares to the #8 super bantamweight is pretty ridiculous.

And a fighter jumping up in weight when he can easily make the previous weight class may make sense for financial reasons, but I'm more impressed by a guy clearing out his weight class and definitively proving he's the champion of the world at his weight.

Comment

Or a guy is so good that he makes great fighters look ordinary. You can only really know how good somebody is compared to somebody else. Trying to figure out how the #8 cruiserweight compares to the #8 super bantamweight is pretty ridiculous.

And a fighter jumping up in weight when he can easily make the previous weight class may make sense for financial reasons, but I'm more impressed by a guy clearing out his weight class and definitively proving he's the champion of the world at his weight.
                Again, if they don't have the resume you cant say they were great fighters...just held a title and looked good. Ive noticed certain fans want to insist that certain fighters around a particular weight are really ' great ' despite not having the credentials just to sell a particular fighter ( GGG ) to the public.
                Last edited by 1hourRun; 04-20-2017, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
                  Again, if they don't have the resume you cant say they were great fighters...just held a title and looked good. Ive noticed certain fans want to insist that certain fighters around a particular weight are really ' great ' despite not having the credentials just to sell a particular fighter ( GGG ) to the public.
                  There are 17 weight classes. Please name a fighter in any weight class that has proven themselves as the definitive champion at their weight more than GGG has. You can't.

Comment

because its opinion

Comment

There are 17 weight classes. Please name a fighter in any weight class that has proven themselves as the definitive champion at their weight more than GGG has. You can't.
                      When did I ever make that argument? who cares if you dominated 160? I'm a Crawford fan and I'm going to keep it real unifying 140 right now is nothing special ; I mean Ricky Burns vs. Indongo? come on.

Comment

Working...
                      X