No announcement yet.

Lets talk about our TEETH

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaded View Post
    10 years without a dental checkup is dumb. Just because it does not hurt yet does not mean you don't have a badly decayed tooth that will need root canal because it has worn too close to the nerve and can't be drilled (just an example). Root canals then bring on more problems later on. Avoid problems and get everything done before things get out of hand. Go every 6 months or at least once a year...even if you are semi-perpetually unemployed. If you loose teeth in the front you will never get a hired looking like a meth head or homeless person.

As far as your current dentist goes I'd get a second opinion. Also getting put under for a dental procedure is not smart. If they can remove the nerve painlessly with local anesthesia than they could do whatever without general anesthesia...which is a controlled coma and kills brains cells. It's not like you had a triple by-pass...you need to grow some balls.
    u a smart dude bro, but u always kicking me when I'm down huh? LOL

yeah i avoided going to the dentist quite frankly out of fear and for i was working like 65 hours plus a week back at my GM position for the past decade or so. i agree with what you say I'm just not feeling my girl's dentist at all. he is way too aggressive with the up sell and even while cleaning.

back with the wisdom tooth i had no choice that dentist told me they were putting me under they strapped my ass down like i was on some Silence of the Lambs shat.

my thing is like yo just do one or two teeth at a time. ill come like once or twice a year and finish the rest one at a time and he was like no we gotta do more each time and you gotta come 4 more times back to back so that to me was a big red flag.

i already called around looked on yelp for the # 1 rated dentist in my area and scheduled an appointment for next Wednesday. they were way more friendly and professional on the phone and i told them straight up the beef I had with the other dentist and they were like totally understanding.

so yeah its safe to say I'm going to the new guy and never looking back. the only bad thing is they said i have to call the old dentist to get the X-rays from them.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
      i go once a year...last year i had to remove 2 wisdom teeth and she was saying some **** like i need something done extra to help my gums heal properly then she dropped the 'its gonna cost about a grand per tooth'

i told her no thanks and just to take the ****ers out
      I heard male dentist are actually much nicer and gentle on the teeth. Most complain that female dentists are way more aggressive for whatever reason. Maybe they working out their issues on us?

Again I would not know as I haven't been going for the past decade.

Comment

Originally posted by STEELHEAD View Post
        i always brushed and had no cavities even in my 50s but having to take all these heart meds made my teeth fall out in less then a year. it was like a horror story. every month loosing a couple teeth. and they just don't fall out. for each tooth they would slowly work loose. i'd be eating and getting those lightning bolt pains.i felt horrible and looked horrible.
        thankfully i got falseteeth that fit so perfectly that i don't have to use that glue stuff.
        damn that sucks bro. whats wrong with your heart? so the side effect of the heart meds is that it make your teeth fall out? damn that freaking horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
          I'd highly suggest a second opinion.

And do not tell the next dentist what this one said.

Makavelli is right, some are about as honest as dishonest mechanics are. A second opinion never hurts.
          this is smart advice bro but my emotional arse already F'd up and start batching about the first dentist to the second one lol so they were basically saying theres a way to look up what each tooth should really cost the consumer so after I heard that I was instantly won over. These new guys seems so much more honest and genuine.

That other dentist seems like he needs to pay off his ex-wife's alimony or something.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
            Some dentists can really be dishonest.

When I was a kid my parents took me to a new dentist. That guy wanted several thousand dollars (this was in the early-mid 70s) for braces on baby teeth!! He said some nonsense about them having to be straight or the permanent teeth would come in all crooked.

We got a second opinion and he laughed at the first guy's 'prognosis'. My parents stuck with the second opinion dentist until he retired a few years ago.
            thank god for yelp and google reviews so we can avoid shady businesses like that first guy huh?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
              u a smart dude bro, but u always kicking me when I'm down huh? LOL

yeah i avoided going to the dentist quite frankly out of fear and for i was working like 65 hours plus a week back at my GM position for the past decade or so. i agree with what you say I'm just not feeling my girl's dentist at all. he is way too aggressive with the up sell and even while cleaning.

back with the wisdom tooth i had no choice that dentist told me they were putting me under they strapped my ass down like i was on some Silence of the Lambs shat.

my thing is like yo just do one or two teeth at a time. ill come like once or twice a year and finish the rest one at a time and he was like no we gotta do more each time and you gotta come 4 more times back to back so that to me was a big red flag.

i already called around looked on yelp for the # 1 rated dentist in my area and scheduled an appointment for next Wednesday. they were way more friendly and professional on the phone and i told them straight up the beef I had with the other dentist and they were like totally understanding.

so yeah its safe to say I'm going to the new guy and never looking back. the only bad thing is they said i have to call the old dentist to get the X-rays from them.
              Sounds like you go to the Auschwitz Dental Clinic.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                Sounds like you go to the Auschwitz Dental Clinic.
                HA like I said I had a negative over all experience with dentists as a whole.

One F'd up thing was they strapped me in and told me to count backwards from 10 to 1. I went black with no memory at all.

I woke up confused as hell. I heard music first then saw darkness then slowly started to open my eyes. I was not making sense but I told the dental assistant that I heard music and she looked at me like I was a nut job and just walked out of the room.

I thought wow talk about torture concentration camp style huh

Comment

HA like I said I had a negative over all experience with dentists as a whole.

One F'd up thing was they strapped me in and told me to count backwards from 10 to 1. I went black with no memory at all.

I woke up confused as hell. I heard music first then saw darkness then slowly started to open my eyes. I was not making sense but I told the dental assistant that I heard music and she looked at me like I was a nut job and just walked out of the room.

I thought wow talk about torture concentration camp style huh
                  General anesthesia is the reason why people feel like crap after surgery months later after the soft tissue has healed. Some people don't wake up from it...it's very serious stuff. Never have general anesthesia for dental work...local is always more than adequate for anything dental and has no residual side-effects. I can't imagine them using it on you unless you refused the needle and gave them no choice.

Comment

Lets talk about our teeth.

Do you guys go to the dentist religiously? I do not. I haven't been to the dentist in probably over 10 years.

I figure if it doesn't hurt then I'm fine. I also had real negative experiences as a kid in the 80's with pain and fear of the dentist.

The last time I went to the dentist was to pull my wisdom teeth out which was like in 2003 or something. The only time I've ever been put under.

So me and my girl are on common law so she got me on her insurance since its lot better than my work's insurance. She made me promise I'd go get my teeth checked since its been so long. So the dentist cleaned my teeth really good now they are as white as can be. But then he tried to hit me with the hey we need to reconstruct like 8 of your teeth before it gets worse speech.

I was not having it, but I entertained the thought of what he would charge me and when he showed me the bill it came out to $15,000.00! WTF? So he's all like hey sign up for additional dental insurance so they can help eat that up so your out of pocket is much lower.

But I'm like WTF 15G's really? He seems like a straight up dude the dentist, but god damn thats way too much. So he told me to sign up for another insurance but I'm like yo I'm only here because I promised my girl. I wasn't planning on getting any of that work done.

How about you guys? whats your teeth/dentist status like?

I know in the long run like when I'm 55 years old your teeth really are dead and broken down to the point of no return and you need major constructive surgery, but I don't know I just feel for now if it don't hurt don't fix it right?
                    Why not get a second opinion?
                    That way you know if this dentist is a crook or telling the truth.
                    If he is cough up for some extra insurance and get that fixed mate.

Comment

I go every year. I have all my teeth still.
                      I floss daily. Gotta keep the teeth and gums healthy.

Comment

Working...
                      X