No announcement yet.

Can Williams Still Be Great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
    Yeah I feel the same way man. Also this talk of retirement kind of has me thinking that KO from Martinez has some lingering effects. Never heard the word retirement out of his mouth until that KO. I don't think he's going to be the same fighter, but that's just my opinion. We shall see.
    well he does say that he does have other ways of making income (@ 1:35) and he doesn't want to fight other guys besides the top dogs, and those top dogs aren't fighting him. but i do know what you mean, nobody thought pwill would be talking retirement at this stage of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy91 View Post
      well he does say that he does have other ways of making income (@ 1:35) and he doesn't want to fight other guys besides the top dogs, and those top dogs aren't fighting him. but i do know what you mean, nobody thought pwill would be talking retirement at this stage of his career.

thats a big ass nose

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
        thats a big ass nose
        lol.................

Comment

He's always struggled to get guys to fight him. Really his biggest fights are against other guys who struggled to get big fights. Chetto (when he was good not now), Martinez, Cintron, and Winky are all guys who also were avoided. My opinion is he's going to fight till he loses again, however long that is.

Comment

how can he be great again if he was never great to begin with?

that first response was classic though, i must admit. Bartender, I want what he's havin'.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
              Assuming he suffered no ill effects from that KO:

There isnt a 154 Pounder alive that beats him other than Sergio. Even with Martinez I give Sergio a 60-40 edge. Williams took round 1 with ease but got caught the second round. He stays on his feet he is the only fighter at that weight who can handle Sergio.

Angulo, Cotto, Canelo, Margarito all get hammered up pretty badly. Especially Cotto and Canelo. I cant say Bobby making the Cotto fight. He didnt want it when Cotto was prime he really doesnt want it now.

Hes in a tough spot. If he dominates Lara NO ONE other than Sergio will have the balls to go after him. If he struggles and still win he can get Vanes, K9, or Dzinznriuk in the ring. If he loses he might as will retire while he still has good health.

I dont see him moving up to 168 anytime soon. Heck he just moved down a division. Hes barely outgrown WW. I cant see that move yet.

With all that said he should try to enforce his number 1 contender status for Alvarezs belt. Or try to fight Angulo which seems like a long shot given his status.

So its either Canelo, K9, Dzinziruk, or Vanes. Not a bad list at all. 3 of those fighters are Champions so I would guess a title shot is next.

Hbo might have their eye on Williams-Dzinziruk that was his Plan B if the Martinez rematch couldnt go down.

Every boxing organization had him Top 10 P4Pound for a reason. The ring had him at 7. A lot of other publications had him at 3-5. A dominating win puts him RIGHT back on the P4P list.

A lot of noob, troll posters treated Paul as if he lost to a bum. Then thy turn around and say Martinez should be P4P number 1 based on that win. He wins hes right back in the thick of things.
              who taught you how to score fights man?

Comment

great again???when was he ever great?

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
                  great again???when was he ever great?
                  Don't understand why a Martinez fan would want to discredit PW, considering it's Martinez's defining win and he does have a loss to PW. He was a great fighter, and I still think he is great, but not quite elite. The list of elite fighters for me is Floyd, Pac, Martinez, and maybe Donaire. There isn't a guy at 154 or 160 I would favor over him right now other than Martinez.

Comment

He is already talking retirement after 2-3 more fights. His resume is not good enough to be considered a great.

Comment

Honestly, I was a fan of the Punisher but I never neccessarily thought he was an all time great or even that he could run 147. I just appreciated watching him fight, partly because his high activity style made for an entertaining battle; his vulnerability to punches being part of that.

If you're talking retirement after a brutal KO loss like his, though, something is wrong. Listen to the man- Paul isn't talking about not being able to get fights, other guys being too scared to sign on the dotted line; he's talking about having real estate and other money coming in, having achieved what he set out to do, and wanting to get out of the ring with his health.

In other words, he doesn't sound hungry. He doesn't sound like a guy who is going to push his way through the fire in tough battles anymore, taking the punishment he has to with that style of his, to grab the 'W'.

I'll be tuning in Saturday to see a good scrap - not even just to root for Paul. Lara is still hungry, still a rising prospect - maybe he can start his acension to that next level by eating up a less motivated boxer coming off a bad KO loss; I guess we'll see.

I could really see a close fight where Paul takes all the early rounds, but not in dominating fashion- still getting hit with clean, hard shots, and then late Lara getting him out of there if he gets lazy.

I'm calling an end to any talk of Punisher being elite. That's from the recent retirement talk in his interviews.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong, though. We'll see.

I say Martinez ruined him.

Comment

Working...
                      X