Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFC announces signing of top-ten middleweight contender Yoshihiro Akiyama

UFC announces signing of top-ten middleweight contender Yoshihiro Akiyama

Chris Insinna

The Ultimate Fighting Championship today announced that it has signed top-ten middleweight contender Yoshihiro Akiyama to an exclusive promotional contract that will see him step into the UFC Octagon for the first time this summer.

“I’m excited to bring Akiyama into the UFC and I can see him making an immediate impact in the middleweight division,” said UFC President Dana White. “Besides his great judo and submission game, he’s a finisher, and UFC fans are going to love watching him because he always shows up to fight.”

Man the UFC is killing it with signings. I'm still waiting on Kid Yamamoto though.

Comment

GSP has competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Royal Burnell View Post

GSP has competition.
        Akiyama outgays him by a mile.

Comment

he finishes fights

great pick up for the UFC. hopefully he fares better than the last few japanese fighters in the UFC (with the exception of Okami)

Comment

Originally posted by StillUnknown View Post
            he finishes fights

great pick up for the UFC. hopefully he fares better than the last few japanese fighters in the UFC (with the exception of Okami)
            Gono surprised me in his debut at least, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Royal Burnell View Post

GSP has competition.
              They can have the battle of greased lightning.

Comment

Here's something about Akiyama I didn't know, just read it for the first time on wikipedia:

2003 World Judo Championships Controversy

Akiyama defeated three opponents from France, Mongolia, and Turkey to reach the semi-finals of the 81 kg Light Middleweight division. However, all three opponents claimed that Akiyama had a slippery judogi. Wearing a reserve jacket, Akiyama lost two games in a row (semifinal and 3rd-place match) and missed the medal.[3][4]

International Judo Federation referee director Juan Carlos Barcos said an examination of the gi found that the slippery texture was due to high humidity which prevailed in Osaka and a detergent used to wash the uniform. "At any moment, we did not have any doubt about fair play in the case. We are absolutely sure that Mr. Akiyama is correct," since he changed the jacket at the request of the jury, Barcos said.

Akiyama was also accused of wearing slippery gear by former world and Olympic champion Kenzo Nakamura when they fought at the world championship trials in 2002.[5]

Comment

He also admitted using "lotion" for his "dry skin" against Sakuraba as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
                    He also admitted using "lotion" for his "dry skin" against Sakuraba as well.
                    Yeah, that's what my original comment was about. I was browsing his wikipedia site and I came across the judo controversy as well, just more feul for the fire.

Comment

Working...
                    X