No announcement yet.

Is my coach teaching me right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my coach teaching me right?

hello everyone im really confused right now about a few things when it comes to boxing and the way i have been taught how to do certain things let me start off by saying that Im rather tall about 6.3 and i have been sparring for the last few months but every time i do my coach goes crazy on me because my stance is not close.He is telling me to keep my legs/feet close because that way im taller and my reach is longer but that way does not suit me at all because i feel i have no balance and i have been watching lots of fights of tall fighters and they all have their legs wider apart.Is my coach doing the right thing by telling me to keep my legs close together because that way apparently my reach will be better.The worst thing is hes going mental on me once my legs go wider apart i dont really know how to get used to the stance hes telling me to do.Please tell me what is your opinion on his idea with the close foot/leg stance? thank you

when you keep your legs close, are your legs shoulder width apart? your legs should align with your shoulder when you take your fighting pose, and not closer than that. you're just going to lose your balance.

Comment

Originally posted by moneymayforever View Post
      when you keep your legs close, are your legs shoulder width apart? your legs should align with your shoulder when you take your fighting pose, and not closer than that. you're just going to lose your balance.
      I have been trying very hard but eventually everyone ends up with a wider foot work if you watch any fighter out there tall or not tall you will see their stance is very wide or wider than shoulder width but it is also very hard for me because of my karate and taekwondo background I am somehow used to the wider stance but thanks for replying I appreciate it

Comment

hey no problem man, but if you feel you can work with a wider stance you should talk with your coach once and see what works best good luck!

Comment

some advice for you, i just didn't have the time to write it out.

Stance wav by Mr.Thraz
          Last edited by mr.thraz; 08-28-2011, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.thraz View Post
            some advice for you, i just didn't have the time to write it out.

Stance wav by Mr.Thraz
            Green K!

great way to explain the reasons why a shorter stance is safer.

to the TS as long as they are atleast shoulder-width apart, it should be comfortable. If it isn't it will be, you're just not used to the shorter stance, but I do agree it shouldn't be wide at all and giving up your 6'3 height.

Comment

Hey, a close stance will result in bad balance, have someone push you while your like that, your tumble like jenga blocks. I never have heard anything like that for a tall fighter, really for any fighter. When I hear a coach/trainer yell fight tall I was always under the impression that they were fighting down hill. Fighting an inside game instead of using their reach, and consistently in a crouch cancelling out their height advantage.

Good example- Thomas "Hitman" Hearns
              Bad example- Paul "The Punisher" Williams

Just my opinion, but hey good luck kid.

Comment

I fought out of a wide stance, some people told me that it wasn't proper and I told them everyone fights differently.

With the reach that you should have you should be able to get away with a wide stance. If you keep the opponent at the end of your jab he will need to take bigger steps to get in on you. A 1/2 step back at a time while firing jabs should keep him off of you, he gets inside the jab just drop a right hand on him and take a side......

A wide stance can pose problems when getting heavily offensive, you will need to bring that right foot up quickly to fire combos while your opponent retreats.

Aswell, a wider stance will dig you into the canvas more when dropping right hands on guys.

The whole thing basicaly stems from people saying that you cant attack quick enough if a guy is far away because you will have to take bigger steps forward. I say again, if the man is kept at the end of your jab then you aren't losing any reach really.

Look at the A squared + B squared = square root of c theory. Fighting shorter will actuallly increase your reach opposed to fighting taller, mathematically. You'll have a shorter hypotenus, meaning a shorter distance to travel with the jab out of a short stance.
                ........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  I fought out of a wide stance, some people told me that it wasn't proper and I told them everyone fights differently.

With the reach that you should have you should be able to get away with a wide stance. If you keep the opponent at the end of your jab he will need to take bigger steps to get in on you. A 1/2 step back at a time while firing jabs should keep him off of you, he gets inside the jab just drop a right hand on him and take a side......

A wide stance can pose problems when getting heavily offensive, you will need to bring that right foot up quickly to fire combos while your opponent retreats.

Aswell, a wider stance will dig you into the canvas more when dropping right hands on guys.

The whole thing basicaly stems from people saying that you cant attack quick enough if a guy is far away because you will have to take bigger steps forward. I say again, if the man is kept at the end of your jab then you aren't losing any reach really.

Look at the A squared + B squared = square root of c theory. Fighting shorter will actuallly increase your reach opposed to fighting taller, mathematically. You'll have a shorter hypotenus, meaning a shorter distance to travel with the jab out of a short stance.
                  ........Rockin'
                  agreed w Rockin...he knows his stuff...i teach my guys to b comfortable first...however i wont let them b wrong either..but comfort is half the battle if ur uncomfortable obviously you wont believe in urself...but...not knowing or seeing this stance i cant say if its right or wrong..most techniques in boxing are uncomfortable and one jus has to practice practice practice...however bein semi tall myself..its all about angles and keepen my jab goin at all times...as long as u are turned right without being too squared..one is longer no matter what height...like this...grab a teammate..both stand square towards each other with your fists touching each others chin...then you turn to a boxing stance and voila...ur fist is still in his chin..while his will not be at yours

Comment

Working...
                  X