No announcement yet.

when did the 2nd world title get introduced

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when did the 2nd world title get introduced

i know there used to be one title per division but when did they bring in the second title?

8 titles, 1 per division sounds pretty cool if ur champ, ur definitely the champ

You can find a historical rundown on the alphabet soup here:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...light=alphabet

Comment

I was actually going to start thread similar to this, but mine was going to be entitled "When did you stop caring about world titles?"

Comment

The first major split of a world title in my lifetime was when the WBA stripped Ali for giving Liston an immediate rematch. Ernie Terrell beat either Eddie Machen or Doug Jones to win their title. Nobody took it seriously, and it was unified when Ali easily beat Terrell.

Comment

There's never been a time when there's only been one title per division per say. Some divisions at some times perhaps. But that has never ever been the norm. Always been alternative claims out there opposite of the accepted champion and they were serving as promotional tools for the most part. Some had the backing of publications like Police Gazette in the earliest days of accepted gloved boxing. Some times it's been claimed by a fighter/promoter with support from many of the sportswriters in the press. Other times it's been from earlier "alphabet groups" like the International Boxing Union, American Boxing Association or the later National Boxing Association and NYSAC titles.

The major difference between now and then were how the onlookers viewed such titles. Back then they were largely ignored when it came to being written into boxing history. As generally were the WBC & WBA for a large portion of their time until the late 70's Ring Magazine-US Championship scandal. Nowadays, though, we've had a generation of fans, writers, fighters, etc., institutionalized into believing those promotional props of today are worth a damn when all they're doing is conflicting with the very singular definition of the term "world champion". In other words, there's no such thing as "two world champions" in any weight division.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi View Post
            There's never been a time when there's only been one title per division per say. Some divisions at some times perhaps. But that has never ever been the norm. Always been alternative claims out there opposite of the accepted champion and they were serving as promotional tools for the most part. Some had the backing of publications like Police Gazette in the earliest days of accepted gloved boxing. Some times it's been claimed by a fighter/promoter with support from many of the sportswriters in the press. Other times it's been from earlier "alphabet groups" like the International Boxing Union, American Boxing Association or the later National Boxing Association and NYSAC titles.

The major difference between now and then were how the onlookers viewed such titles. Back then they were largely ignored when it came to being written into boxing history. As generally were the WBC & WBA for a large portion of their time until the late 70's Ring Magazine-US Championship scandal. Nowadays, though, we've had a generation of fans, writers, fighters, etc., institutionalized into believing those promotional props of today are worth a damn when all they're doing is conflicting with the very singular definition of the term "world champion". In other words, there's no such thing as "two world champions" in any weight division.
            Good to see you Yogi! Another great poster just popping up, whats going on here lately? Seems this board is starting to get its legs back under it!

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Good to see you Yogi! Another great poster just popping up, whats going on here lately? Seems this board is starting to get its legs back under it!
              Cheers, Jab, and good to see you too.

Comment

Cheers, Jab, and good to see you too.
                You gonna get back to posting regularly, or are you just visiting?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  You gonna get back to posting regularly, or are you just visiting?
                  We'll see, my old friend. Kind of got tired of posting on internet forums a couple of years ago for the most part (here and elsewhere), but have grown more warm to the idea again lately. But again, we'll see. I'd still have to have stuff to post about, though. Things like 'who ranks where' and 'who wins between such-and-such' have never really been my thing. Less so nowadays.

Comment

We'll see, my old friend. Kind of got tired of posting on internet forums a couple of years ago for the most part (here and elsewhere), but have grown more warm to the idea again lately. But again, we'll see. I'd still have to have stuff to post about, though. Things like 'who ranks where' and 'who wins between such-and-such' have never really been my thing. Less so nowadays.

I understand completely. We'd love to have that great knowledge of yours back here regularly though.

Comment

Working...
                    X