No announcement yet.

First boxer to use Entrance Music?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First boxer to use Entrance Music?

Okay, I'm curious, now I have to know. When did this become a common thing in main events? Who started this trend? And what are some songs you guys remember that boxers used on the way to a main event fight? The earliest I can remember is maybe when Evander Holyfield was a heavyweight contender and then champion or when Tyson was champ, but was there someone before this that went out to the ring with music?

The earliest example I can think of was when Greg Haugen fought Chavez in Mexico and came out to Born In The USA. But there has to be an earlier example. There also must have been countless guys that probably used stuff like Eye of the Tiger (Pacquiao did recently) or the Rocky theme on their way to the ring, but what's the earliest you guys can remember of a boxer using entrance music?

Didn't Larry Holmes use Ain't No Stopping Us Now? Not sure how early though.

Comment

Yes he did. So really? All you knowledgeable historians and boxing fans, guys that have been watching the sports for years, decades even and nobody here knows the answer to this?

Comment

Supposedly Ali for Ali Shavers (Star Wars theme).

Comment

Sweet. So Sonny Liston never entered the ring to Night Train? He only played that during training?

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
            Supposedly Ali for Ali Shavers (Star Wars theme).
            Good call. Its on YouTube, but I can't do links over my phone. This was also taken from "Gorgeous George" page as I think he was the first wrestler to use entrance music.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Sweet. So Sonny Liston never entered the ring to Night Train? He only played that during training?
              yeah that's the thing. I specifically put a supposedly cos I am not sure and can't remember where I read it.

Comment

Oh yeah. Wow, I can't believe it took until the '80s to become commonplace in wrestling and then boxing. I remember Sgt. Slaughter also used some kind of military marching band music, even when he was a heel in the early '80s, then became a face by the mid '80s. I'm guessing this became a big thing then around the time The Wrestling Album was released in 1985, because by the late '80s, I remember this being incorporated into boxing main events. So, now, a better question would be, what do you guys consider the most memorable boxer's entrances and ring walks? Pacquiao coming out to Eye of the Tiger wasn't bad and Haugen coming out to Born in the USA when fighting Chavez in Mexico I always thought was entertaining. Any other memorable ones for you guys?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  Good call. Its on YouTube, but I can't do links over my phone. This was also taken from "Gorgeous George" page as I think he was the first wrestler to use entrance music.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadman View Post
                    Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X