Collapse
No announcement yet.

good pros with bad amateur careers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I heard Carlos Molina only had very few amateur fights, not sure if he won most of them or not. He's also not a "Mexican" in the Chavez/Morales/Canelo way, so I'd still count him.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
      I kinda doubt it's accurate, I feel like it was exaggerated in the way most guys exaggerate amateur wins But it's the only available piece of info, and I remember them saying it on hbo.

The problem was, his day job was at Burger King. So turns out he made the right choice, his talents were much better suited to the pros.
      Good choice, indeed!

Comment

Danny Garcia and Brandon rios comes to mind

Comment

Originally posted by meelimb1 View Post
          Actually both of them were quality (not elite at world level) amateurs, national champs. Rios was an Olympic alternate

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
            I kinda doubt it's accurate, I feel like it was exaggerated in the way most guys exaggerate amateur wins But it's the only available piece of info, and I remember them saying it on hbo.

The problem was, his day job was at Burger King. So turns out he made the right choice, his talents were much better suited to the pros.

Actually I wouldn't doubt if it was true, Librado's style is terrible for amateur boxing, he's slow with his punches and on his feet, a 1 dimensional come forward fighter. He isn't a hard hitter either, that head gear really took a lot off his power. He gets his ass kicked practically every fight, however his opponents eventually tire from hitting his iron chin and he manages to walk them down.

I remember him telling Edison Miranda that he always gets his ass kicked in sparring and didn't understand why lol.

Comment

Originally posted by meelimb1 View Post
              Garcia: 107-13, the five time National Champion

Rios: 230-35 and even holds a win over John Molina, Jr. In 2004 Ríos became the U.S. National Amateur Featherweight champion, he was also a United States Olympic alternate at 125 lbs

Comment

Working...
              X