Forbes Study: Apple apps crash more than Android apps

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LMAO!] Forbes Study: Apple apps crash more than Android apps

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomioger...d-a-data-dive/

Ever wonder why certain mobile apps you use crash so much?

It turns out there are many possible reasons. And it can vary particularly depending on whether you are using an Apple iOS device such as an iPhone or iPad, or an Android device.

One of the reasons for app crashes is the proliferation of mobile operating systems on iOS and Android. As Apple and Google have released more new operating systems, each with multiple updates, app developers face more operating systems to test apps on. In data that mobile app monitoring startup Crittercism compiled for app crashes between December 1 and 15, there were at least 23 different iOS operating systems on which apps had crashed and 33 Android operating systems on which apps had crashed. (See the graphs above.) Note that the graphs that separate out Android and iOS show these number of operating systems and the graph that combines both iOS and Android shows less–22 iOS and 17 Android.

The largest proportion of app crashes from both iOS and Android platforms were on iOS 5.01 with 28.64% of overall crashes (in a normalized data set). That makes sense since iOS 5 was still relatively new at that time and many apps still need to work out the kinks with the new OS. But there are also older iOS versions that have a significant proportion of app crashes. For example, iOS 4.2.10 had 12.64% of app crashes, iOS 4.3.3 had 10.66% and iOS 4.1 had 8.24%. One other point that this made clear to me is that many people apparently take their time updating their iPhone software or never update it at all.

The data raises two main questions for me: why do apps on these operating systems crash so much, and do iOS apps crash more than Android apps? On the first question of why apps crash, the reasons are many, says Crittercism CEO Andrew Levy. This can be due to hardware issues, such as the use of location or GPS services or cameras; it could be due to the Internet connection, that is, how a phone connects to 3G or WiFi, or that the device is not connected to the Internet at a certain moment, or that something happens during the switch between 3G and WiFi. There could also be issues with language support on certain devices. There can also be memory problems if an app uses too much memory.

Upgrading to IOS 5 on the I phone 4 is hilarious too.

Google it and make a thread.

Comment

So in English this mean i should keep my Andriod right?

Comment

Originally posted by dough401 View Post
        So in English this mean i should keep my Andriod right?
        There's a certain idiot on hear who loves to claim apple is flawless and makes "revolutionary" phones He has no idea his phone is running two year old software. and on top of that it's not as reliable as he thinks. Apple has already had to release many updates to ios5 fo fix bugs.

Comment

That study must be bollocks because apps never crash on my iPhone.

Comment

not surprised..... Android has proven to be the superior OS

Comment

Originally posted by sick- View Post
              That study must be bollocks because apps never crash on my iPhone.
              same here

Comment

Can I get aps on my 3310?

Comment

If you want to see real flaws just look into the security nightmares of android and its fragmentation.

Well......at least you have anti-virus and anti-malware........Bwahahahahaha!

Comment

I have an iPhone... Not impressed by this.

At the end of the day people can say whatever about whichever phones they carry but I do not see Android phones on the news in regards to such matters, whereas, iPhone's app privacy issue has been shown here in the UK for the past 2 days.

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/02/1...vacy-concerns/

Comment

Working...
                    X