Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you discuss Boxing with 'casual' fans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you discuss Boxing with 'casual' fans?

Or people who think they know boxing , but really have no idea...

I have this co-worker who tried to talk to me about how Timothy Bradley was the next big thing and Manny Pacquiao was "fed" to him, and that Win was to catapult Bradley into stardom and compared it to Joe Louis fighting Rocky Marciano (Bradley being Marciano).........

My head almost collapsed with that stupid logic.

This happens more often than not! What is up with people trying to act as if they 'know' boxing ... friggin when i first got into boxing i was fully open about my ignorance and tried to learn as much as humanly possible. But i have yet to come across someone who is like "Yeah i know a little bit but not enough to make informed opinions about whatever fighters" its either "I dont watch boxing" or "i know floyd mayweather and manny pacman, therefore i know Boxing"

How do you guys deal with this?? Or do you have any ridiculous stories about Boxing arguments with the casual fan?

Haha I know the feeling. Sometimes I just bow out as I know trying to educate the person is futile.

Comment

I try not to as their mis-informed opinions are infuriating.

Comment

if you dont care about hurting their feelings, tell them you dont know nuthin about boxin...

Comment

Originally posted by User's Name View Post
          if you dont care about hurting their feelings, tell them you dont know nuthin about boxin...
          ^
          this...leave them to their own notions about the sport, chances are they won't thank you for imposing yours

Comment

Originally posted by User's Name View Post
            haha i did this with my co-worker and his response was "Im related to Joe Louis! I bet i know more about boxing than you" and thats when i was like "(-_-)"

Comment

I only talk to them about fights that I figure they might have seen. For instance it was easy to strike up a conversation about Marquez-Pac IV because a ton of casuals saw it. I don't even bother with other fights.

Comment

I just focus on fighters they mightve seen and suggest people with similar styles

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

The majority of Pac fans are casual fans , just talk to them you will learn all about casual fans .

Comment

You can't even discuss boxing with the so called hardcore fan either sometimes due to their fanboyism.

I've read/heard more ridiculous stories from hardcore fans than casuals by far.

Comment

Working...
                    X