Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After a hard workout at the gym, and lifting weights, whats good to eat or drink?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drink Protein directly afterwards ....
    specially after weight training

I drink it with a banana shake

Comment

Protein Shake would be best or any type of quick digesting protein like Egg Whites.

A little bit of carbs won't hurt either. Like a Banana or Gatorade.

Another option that is good is a Steak and Salad or Potatoes.

Before Bed Cottage Cheese or a Protein Shake w/ some Peanut Butter

Comment

Proven fact: It doesn't matter when you drink your protein shake, before/after ect.. just drink a few per day if bulking and lift 4-5 days per week if you want good results.

so basically, do what kev doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
          drink Protein directly afterwards ....
          specially after weight training

I drink it with a banana shake
          Protien shakes are freaking expensive though..... Tha why the guy was telling me eat a little bit of cheese and two cups of milk....

Good or bad advice?

Comment

Originally posted by -HTownTexan- View Post
            Protien shakes are freaking expensive though..... Tha why the guy was telling me eat a little bit of cheese and two cups of milk....

Good or bad advice?
            Cheese? lol no. Milk is alright. Chocolate Milk would be better actually.

Comment

You've received a lot of both funny and bad advice thus far...

Regardless of whether you're cutting or bulking and regardless of the time of day, the answer is the same for your post workout meal. You need a meal consisting of quick absorbing protein and carbs. No fats. No solid foods. The quickest absorbing protein is whey isolate protein and the quickest absorbing carb (if you want to do it right) is Dextrose. Most don't have or won't order dextrose so a sugary drink will do i.e. fruit juice (don't have fruit juice blend in bananas). The ideal post workout shake would be whey protein, dextrose blended with coconut water.

I wouldn't use milk as suggested as it is a slow digesting protein. The one time you don't want to eat solid foods is after a workout as it slows digestion delaying the nutrients your body needs asap to begin the recovery process. Fats also need to be avoided in your post workout meal as it too will slow down digestion.

Comment

Peanut butter sandwich and some milk, yes it works.

You don't wanna go to bed with a full stomach of real food anyway, when your body shuts down.

But those two work, especially if you've been lifting weights that day.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTown2Diego View Post

Regardless of whether you're cutting or bulking and regardless of the time of day, the answer is the same for your post workout meal. You need a meal consisting of quick absorbing protein and carbs. No fats. No solid foods. The quickest absorbing protein is whey isolate protein and the quickest absorbing carb (if you want to do it right) is Dextrose. Most don't have or won't order dextrose so a sugary drink will do i.e. fruit juice (don't have fruit juice blend in bananas). The ideal post workout shake would be whey protein, dextrose blended with coconut water.

I wouldn't use milk as suggested as it is a slow digesting protein. The one time you don't want to eat solid foods is after a workout as it slows digestion delaying the nutrients your body needs asap to begin the recovery process. Fats also need to be avoided in your post workout meal as it too will slow down digestion.
                  This...finally.

Listen to what he's saying Htown...I used to do a protein shake with dextrose or down a gatorade then drink a protein shake when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by -HTownTexan- View Post
                    I'm just trying to lose weight in my stomach ( I do alot of cardio for that), get my chest more solid and tone my arms..... I'm not trying to get cut with a six pack, and defined chest or this or that..... Like I just more definition in my arms, and a more solid chest.....
                    How about yogurt mix it with fruits or granolas. I like greek yogurt with honey and mix it with banana(slicing it of course into pieces).

Also, how about fruits. Since its summer, get some melon or canteloupe, slice them up. Then mix it with watermelon(slice).
                    Last edited by loui_ludwig; 07-13-2011, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTown2Diego View Post

That's a lot of broscience, bro.

The whole thing about shakes and no solid food is in large part a ploy used by supplement companies to get people to buy their shakes. Protein Shakes only started to become popular in the late 80's and people have been lifting and bodybuilding long before that.

Ronnie Coleman goes to Outback Steakhouse for his post workout meal and last time I checked they don't serve protein shakes there and he's an 8 time Mr. O.

Now, are protein shakes beneficial, more convenient and possibly better than solid food, sure, but it's not the only option available.

I know tons of bodybuilders and people jacked out of their minds that don't drink shakes post workout and I know guys that do and they put Peanut Butter in them too.

As long as you are getting in your required amount of protein daily, it doesn't make much of a difference when you eat it or exactly what you eat, as long as it's quality protein.
                      Last edited by Jack3d; 07-13-2011, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X