No announcement yet.

Becoming a 2 handed fighter..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a 2 handed fighter..

Does anyone know any specific exercises/drills to improve my left hand.

I'm right handed and so obviously punch harder with my right. Although my left jab is stiff, my left hook and uppercut are nowhere near as powerful as my right and it is starting to influence how i throw my combinations. As i step up against more intelligent fighters after a few rounds im starting to be figured out. Obviously i train both hands equally..

Is it ever recommended to train one hand more than the other?

And does anyone know any drills Pacquiao did to make his right hand so much more powerful than it was?

Thanks in advance.

Left hook is driven with the pivot not the arm. My guess is you are hooking with the arm when you should lock the arm and drive the pivot.

Comment

First of all, make your left hand stronger. I'm guessing you're right handed so don't use your left at all in daily life that much. Use your left hand for simple tasks at home and build up more strength and get more use out of that hand.

Secondly, Simply get out of your thinking zone and be creative.

Imagine there is an invisible and airless target and that your fists have to hit it at the exact amount of speed and power. To do this you must practice slowly. Why? Muscle memory. You do 50 sloppy punches and 10 perfect punches of form... you've only done 10 punches.

So in other words, flow. Don't be stiff but don't be flimsy. Breathe. Your mental training is just as good as your physical training.

After you've worked on your form slowly, try to go faster. Do not use punching bags: I repeat, do not use bags. You will be tempted to hit hard.

Thirdly, After you know you've done pretty well in form after a week then do a test on the punching bag to see if you've improved. If not, it's time for airless and slow target. This will help you, A LOT. Just depends on your mentality.

If you think slow is weak, then your patience is weak. If your patience is weak, then shows you need to improve on something.

Comment

Originally posted by jonesy View Post
        Does anyone know any specific exercises/drills to improve my left hand.

I'm right handed and so obviously punch harder with my right. Although my left jab is stiff, my left hook and uppercut are nowhere near as powerful as my right and it is starting to influence how i throw my combinations. As i step up against more intelligent fighters after a few rounds im starting to be figured out. Obviously i train both hands equally..

Is it ever recommended to train one hand more than the other?

And does anyone know any drills Pacquiao did to make his right hand so much more powerful than it was?

Thanks in advance.
        i used to be terrible with my left...i used to fight southpaw when i first started boxing because it was that bad....i'd say the floor to ceiling bag helped my left hand cordination and power/movement i went round after round double left hooking for weeks...now my left hand is the hand i throw 80% of punches with

Comment

Louis was also known to catch flies in midair to improve his reflexes. Another training tactic was to spar with his right hand tied to the ropes—this helped him improve his left

http://www.mensfitness.com/sports_an...n/athletes/174

Comment

Originally posted by John Hue View Post
            Left hook is driven with the pivot not the arm. My guess is you are hooking with the arm when you should lock the arm and drive the pivot.
            Actually, you shouldn't lock the arm, that's an amateur punch. But your right about the pivot part. A good left hook has both snap from the shoulder and a sharp pivot. If you lock your arm it's going to be a very slow hook.

Comment

Working...
            X