No announcement yet.

something just occured to me about roy jones

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something just occured to me about roy jones

i was just thinking i think the biggest mistake he made in his whole career was fighting john ruiz before fighting antonio tarver, he should have done it the other way around, that way his career would be alot better than what it is right now and his legacy would probably be better, i know we can all agree that a prime roy jones would have beaten tarver..and the reason i bring this up is because ive never heard anyone say this and if this has been brought up before then maybe i just didnt see the post..

but yeah let me know what you guys think

He should have retired after beating Ruiz,before the second Tarver fight,I have never seen such a display of natural born athleticism!!

Comment

I personally agree with you, about roy over tarver pre HW... but there are def posters who feel Tarver was Roys kryptonite... I dont, but those opinions are on here..

Comment

RJ was supposed to use his HW belt he won from Ruiz as a springboard to a big $ fight wit Tyson. When that didn't happen, he chose to fight Tarver. There really was no controversy, just dumbasses caught up in Tarver doin better than anybody else had. RJ won that fight clearly. Nothin to prove. Man, I wish he woulda just retired after that fight.

Comment

In the middle of the ring Roy outboxed Tarver 10 fold... but fr the first time in his career his stamina was shot, and he got tired along the ropes.. instead of turning like normal and heading back to the center of the ring, he just put his hands up ready to absorb tarvers punches.. something he never did.. And thats when Tarver got his work in, which made the fight close, I had it 7-5 Roy.... The rematch, Roy just got caught, then fought 4 months later and got knocked out again, which was WAY too close 2gether...

Comment

Ok im glad i wasnt the only one that saw this...but yea its really sad how roy's career started going down the drain like that...tarver shoulda been his last lightheavyweight fight and then john ruiz and then he should have just retired....

then again... i still wanna see him fight hopkins one more time
            and in my wildest dreams im hopin somehow he would end up fighting de la hoya just for the hell of it...why not? i think its still a credible fight..both legends who are past their primes. so the result would most likely be the same as if they fought back in their primes
            , im pretty sure they could meet at 166? or 168?

Comment

Originally posted by illmatickid View Post
              i was just thinking i think the biggest mistake he made in his whole career was fighting john ruiz before fighting antonio tarver, he should have done it the other way around, that way his career would be alot better than what it is right now and his legacy would probably be better, i know we can all agree that a prime roy jones would have beaten tarver..and the reason i bring this up is because ive never heard anyone say this and if this has been brought up before then maybe i just didnt see the post..

but yeah let me know what you guys think
              I've said it, but worded it differently...

Moving up to H/W spoilt Jones's resume.. So true..

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                I personally agree with you, about roy over tarver pre HW... but there are def posters who feel Tarver was Roys kryptonite... I dont, but those opinions are on here..

I dont think Tarver would beat Jones in his prime, i think Jones proved in the 1st fight that even 60% of the old Jones could still decision Tarver.

Tarver would always do what Norton did to Ali, which is upset/break his rhythm of fighting and make him look a little bad, but he would not beat him in his prime because he was too fast.

Comment

Roy definitely messed up going back down to Light Heavyweight after the Ruiz fight. It clearly messed up his stamina and reflexes. We all knew once Roy lost the athletic edge he held it would get tough for him. If the Tarver fight had happened before Ruiz, I hold no doubt in my mind Roy coasts to an easy UD.

Comment

Working...
                  X