Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who in your opinion was more of a phenom? Mike Tyson or Roy Jones?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyson became the undisputed Heavyweight champion at the age of 21. You will never see anybody do that ever again. Its totally unheard of.

Comment

I think Tyson. He was forged out of raw material into an eye-popping machine. He said outrageous, unpredictable and cruel things in a childish voice that was wildly at odds with his brutal, brutish superhero physique, as were his sometimes surprisingly erudite observations about the history of the sweet science. He was a heavyweight, and heavyweights are everything. At his peak, we all feared him.

RJJ was a physical phenomenon, astounding. But that's it. Tyson was a phenom in more ways, and just bigger.

Comment

Tyson. At Age 21, he unified the HW to be the undisputed HW. Today, we call 21 in boxing "kids" in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
          Don’t act like a casual. 1980s were the (“quaalude”) wonder years for anabolic–androgenic steroids in American Sport. 6% of all high school seniors were on AAS.

You’re comparing 1980s Tyson vs a 1999 Jones Jr.? Didn’t Hall also pop 10x the “normal” amount. HBO protected all this. It had no regulation aside from the fact that the NFL rocked it Regardless of it being Regulated.
          If you understand physiology...everything about Mike's ascension made sense as did his collapse. A fighter who hit their prime earlier than others relied heavily on athleticism and reflexes.

RJJ was clearly on PEDs as his boxing skills never got him far, but his speed, reflexes, and power moved with him up and down weight classes. Not suspicious at all...not even that he did fail a drug test once and was later linked to BALCO.

Not suspicious at all XD XD XD

Comment

RJJ had more talent but Mike revitalized the sport.

Comment

I went with Tyson.
              Everything to do with Tyson was Huge when he was on.
              He was one bad mufa fuker.

Comment

Originally posted by earl-hickey View Post
                Jones

I can see a number of heavyweights beating a prime Tyson, how the hell do you beat a prime jones outside of a lucky 1/100 punch
                The day after the Spinks fight, I asked my old man if he thought there was anyone who could beat Mike Tyson. “Well son there is this guy named Evander Holyfield...”

At the local bar he’d only accept bets on the fight at even odds. He knew that was leaving money on the table. It wouldn’t have made him happy to see some Tyson fan drop a couple hundred only to be out a couple thousand. Small bets no drama.
                Mike Tyson is so overrated as a boxer, but that’s a great compliment. It means people loved watching him. His value as an attraction is valid. People willing to make excuses for him. But even he knows that having the term “Prime” being synonymous with him explains everything. If ur “prime” is aged 19-22 that’s not good. I’ve seen every Tyson fight and I’m a huge fan. Anyone who thinks he had a great jab and amazing effective head movement need to see past his first couple fights.

I’m sure Mike would say Roy was better. Just my unpopular two cents.

Comment

Big fan of Tyson, but Roy Jones was just crazy to watch. So I got to go with Roy Jones on this one.

Comment

Arguably the two most overrated boxers ever. People give Tyson **** for his resume but it's infinitely better than RJJ's.

Comment

Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
                      Tyson became the undisputed Heavyweight champion at the age of 21. You will never see anybody do that ever again. Its totally unheard of.
                      But he beat ordinary fighters to do it, Mike just had power and most of his opponents were intimidated, a LH stood up to him and he quit by biting his ear.

Roy had it all and a HW version of Jones would take Mike out in a round or two, punchers come and go Roy was just on another level skill wise.

Skill you must master and few are ever become maestros, brawn is luck of draw.

Comment

Working...
                      X