No announcement yet.

Is Showtime heading the HBO way?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Showtime heading the HBO way?

Very few normal Showtime boxing events per year and every remotely good fight is on PPV! Reminds me of 2015-2017 HBO peak downfall years!

Is it even worth having Showtime for solely boxing content?

Showtime boxing just doesn't feel like a big show, never has.

Production level has never been on HBOs level, so if the fights aren't really good I'm just not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
      Showtime boxing just doesn't feel like a big show, never has.

Production level has never been on HBOs level, so if the fights aren't really good I'm just not interested.
      Davis vs Ruiz is a bum bash & Degale vs Eubanks is two B level Brits who are not really known in America! Is that the best Showtime has to offer!

Comment

I'd say very likely. Combination of that British billionaire behind DAZN conducting what amounts to a hostile takeover of the boxing industry, and of FOX stealing half of PBC's fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by El Ondeado View Post
          Very few normal Showtime boxing events per year and every remotely good fight is on PPV! Reminds me of 2015-2017 HBO peak downfall years!

Is it even worth having Showtime for solely boxing content?
          CBS Sports Showtime benefits from Fox exposure. PBC is a strategic marketing entity. Comparing to HBO’s former structure is not the same

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
            CBS Sports Showtime benefits from Fox exposure. PBC is a strategic marketing entity. Comparing to HBO’s former structure is not the same
            So FOX is going to leave the boxing business! If anything FOX took away fight dates and talent from Showtime! If Espinoza was smart enough he would have signed guys like Wilder, Spence, and Mikey to long term exclusive contracts with Showtime!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
              Losing half their roster hurts Showtime much more than FOX's exposure helps them, surely.

Comment

Originally posted by El Ondeado View Post
                So FOX is going to leave the boxing business! If anything FOX took away fight dates and talent from Showtime! If Espinoza was smart enough he would have signed guys like Wilder, Spence, and Mikey to long term exclusive contracts with Showtime!
                I think you missed the point. Fox and Showtime are symbiotic since their contractor, PBC, gives them a beneficial roster. Showtime is a different network than Fox. If Fox were to decide to no longer invest in PBC, then guess which network saturates all the noise with continued PPV and the PBC brand?

Showtime could easily make an app for boxing should they ever feel insecure about PPV decline. The showtime app itself is cluttered with on demand stuff that doesn’t interest boxing purists
                Last edited by Thuglife Nelo; 02-06-2019, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I think so. A lot of PBC fights will be on Fox now and Showtime have barely any cards announced. Remember at the beginning of 2018 they announced a ton of Showtime fights? There was none of that this year. I give them about 3-4 more years in boxing before they bow out.

Comment

Originally posted by rolshans View Post
                    I'd say very likely. Combination of that British billionaire behind DAZN conducting what amounts to a hostile takeover of the boxing industry, and of FOX stealing half of PBC's fighters.
                    When the PBC first launched, people assumed this same thing. A year and a half later, all of those fighters were fighting mostly on Showtime with and received extra exposure from their previous fights on NBC, CBS and FOX.

Showtime will benefit from the FOX deal. They can't be the sole distributor to the biggest stable in boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X