Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Cotto have the right game plan for Trout? Consecutive Hooks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotto is a man without a weight division anymore. I honestly think he's too small for 154lb height wise and for his style which was brutal for a lot at the lower weights, it's just not effective now. He's gotta go back down or get out of there. Obviously he won't be going back down...

Comment

Originally posted by ELPacman View Post
      Cotto is a man without a weight division anymore. I honestly think he's too small for 154lb height wise and for his style which was brutal for a lot at the lower weights, it's just not effective now. He's gotta go back down or get out of there. Obviously he won't be going back down...
      I don't know why he would not go down again..Some nice winnable fights for Cotto at 147lb..At 154lb he does not have the stamina or the smart to beat top JMW imho...

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
        Listen bro, just because Andre Ward can do something, doesn't mean Miguel Cotto can.
        Right. Cotto is not a naturally right handed fighter and it showed. He didn't use his right NEARLY enough in that fight and that is the best weapon against a southpaw. The left hook is also great against a southpaw but tougher when the southpaw is much bigger than you like in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
          Andre Ward showed the world how to deal with a tall southpaw. Straight right hand to the chest and body, left hook up stairs. Built over the first 3 rounds.

Team Cotto a month later were trying to land a right hook to the body and come back with a left hook against a fighter with good eyes.

Was that a smart game plan or is Trout that good?

Personally I think Cotto should have beat trout easy
          Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
          Listen bro, just because Andre Ward can do something, doesn't mean Miguel Cotto can.
          Bush it's amazing to me how some people think that boxing is a video game where there is some code to beating anyone and everyone.

Truth is, Trout was a really tough match up for Cotto, no matter the strategy. First off, Cotto is NOT a natural 154lber, you can see the difference between him at 147 and 154. At 140 he was a beast, walking through fighters and attacking the body.

At 154, he's small and can't impose his will the same way he once did. Also he is older now and has been through too many wars and isn't the same fighter. IMO I think Trout respected him too much in that fight and could have won even more convincingly.

Trout has the advantage in almost every category against Cotto and you can see the size and strength difference. Have the utmost respect for Cotto but Trout simply did him a favour by saving him a brutal beating at the hands of Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam
            Quote:

Originally Posted by thatdudespits

Pacquiao beat his ass because cotto decided to trade with a guy who had faster hands... pacquiao was playing the angles well in that fight... his footwork has rarely looked as good...

When you fight a come forward style, your bound to get hit sometimes... and yes Zab caught Cotto with some good uppercuts... doesnt change the fact that he lost almost every round of the fight...cotto came forward the entire fight constant pressure.
            zab has fast hands ... he has a REAL knockdown that he should have gotten credit for on floyd....

mosley... cotto fought that fight coming forward for most of the fight... won most his rounds that way... he only switched styles when mosley started to rally and cotto saw he wasnt going to knock him out...

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

You're right. About Zab. Cotto got comfortable and Zab folded. I don't know what the hell him knocking Floyd down has to do with it but OK. As for Mosley, he worked in and out. Cotto has to be able to switch it up like I stated. He doesn't have much in the way of reach. He should have given more ground and used his jab against Trout once he saw Austin was better than he expected on the inside. Its OK to give ground as the smaller guy and a seasoned vet. Get in and get out. Trout gave him chances. Trout was dog ass tired because he hasn't had to fight like that much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe

cotto should have taken a few more months off, and no he didnt have the right game plan, but trout had everything over cotto, size, youth etc

He didn't have experience over Cotto. Cotto abandoned (not taken away) what he does best and that's jab and body work. Trout is the new Mike Jones. Lengthy with solid skills. Not some brilliant ring general like BS posters would lead you to believe.
            the zab knocking floyd down comment was meant to stress that everyone gets hit in fights even mayweather...but that didnt change the fact that cotto dominated judah... and he was coming forward on mosley for almost the entire fight... but i see your point... letting trout come to him did work in round 6... but that doesnt change the fact that in rounds 3,4,5 cotto was successful coming forward... maybe a different look would have helped him... hard to say... I think Cotto could really use a new strength & conditioning coach... i think a new philosophy in that department would do wonders for him.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
            X